Has anyone used a flexible auger bit for wire fishing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I had a company in back in 2019 to install a TV on my wall and also run cables behind the plasterboard. The guy put in the boxes to route the cables with the bristles on however, neglected to realist that there is a baton between the box he put behind the tv (drawn in red) and the one he screwed into the plasterboard with no back box next to the double plug socket. - Won't be using them again.

I have drawn a line roughly showing where the baton crosses. I was wondering if anyone has ever used a flexible auger bit to fish the cable through the baton without removing the plaster board. Thankfully, the TV get's all of its connections from above in the loft where there is a route down, but I would like to add a games console and can't put that in the loft hence my need to actually get a cable up to the tv from carpet level. It would only be one HDMI lead so not a big thick wodge of them.

TVWall.png

Sponsored Links
This: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabling-Akuoly-Fiberglass-Electrical-Threader/dp/B07MT8H4YV or something like it from a different maker/vendor.

However, unless the house build has timer-framed some very uneven walls (e.g. 18th C stone cottage) then it's likely that batten fills the void between the the board and whatever is behind on the other side. Try a rodding kit first, but if no joy then be prepared to cut the board in order to get access to drill the batten. That. or run some low profile semi-circular trunking up the wall.

D-Line trunking: https://www.d-line-it.com/trunking/

I got a friend to weld a 25mm wood spade bit onto a 3ft length of rebar and have managed to drill through noggins with just a socket size access ( the rebar actually flexes slightly so i can sort of drill round a (very shallow) corner

Sponsored Links
Just cut a square off the plasterboard and notch the batten.

Refix with screws sunk under the pb and fill and paint the edges. You can paint match the paint from the sheds .

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back