Hanging a TV the other side of a consumer unit...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I wouldn't consider myself a seasoned DIY pro but I've hung a lot of flat screens and chased a lot of cables in my time. However, I've come up against a bit of a problem...

The wife has decided to move the kitchen diner around and purchased a set of expensive sofas to put into our window bay. The TV that was mounted on a nice sturdy internal block wall now needs to be moved onto an internal partition wall instead.

Normally this wouldn't phase me but unfortunately the other side of this internal wall is a cupboard and has the consumer unit mounted in it right where the TV is wanted to go.

I've had a proper TV installer round from a nationwide company who took one look at it and said he wanted nothing to do with it.

From what I can tell the wall is standard 12mm plasterboard fitted onto some sort of alu frame system as opposed to timber stud work which again I would feel "reasonably confident" of locating and of fixing too. I'm guessing this is what is used as this is the system used elsewhere in the house.

Has anyone got any suggesting on what to do here. I can't use the toggle type anchors for fear of grabbing a load of power cables I don't want to drill around in that area to see what I can see for fear of hitting a cable.

Is there anyone that would consider tackling this job? At this rate we are going to have to keep the TV off and talk to each other...

Thanks in advance!
Sy

Sponsored Links
Do wires to/from the CU all run vertically? If so, you could you fix a horizontal batten with its ends well beyond the CU region, then fix the TV to the batten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back