Has Chimney Liner slipped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We had a Woodburner installed last year (by expensive Hetas Engineer !) It was used between November and March and since then has been empty/dormant. Two days ago three of us were in the sitting room when we heard this 'thud' come from the stove area. We have checked that the cowling is still in place which it is, and that a bird could not have fallen down the chimney. We are wondering if the chimney liner could have slipped - are these attached to the cowling ? I believe they are. The noise could have come from next door, whose fireplace is in the same as ours, just the other side. Any ideas on how we can check this out? I don't want to call back the engineer until I am sure if it IS the liner which has dropped.

Sponsored Links
At the bottom, the liner should be fixed to the flue pipe which exits the stove. At the top, the gap between liner and chimney should be filled with cement.
As the liner isn't stretched (or shouldn't be) it seems unlikely that the liner could have come adrift but the only sure way is to get up on the chimney stack, I'm afraid.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back