Has gas gone?

I tell people how to repair TV's etc, but always say, if you are unsure how to do this, then don't attempt it.

But I believe that there is a genuine need for information.

Many people have a complete lack of understanding about anything technical. Just watch bozo shows like Big Brother or X Factor, and providing information to idiots is dangerous. But there are technically adept people that require information for understanding, even though they will not attempt to do the job themselves, so there is a fine balance.

I know the site uses a generic hosting forum style, maybe a risk meter could be added? If you are are asking why you can't open your car door, because the key is broken...is maybe 1 to 2 on the scale? If you are asking how to access a car because you have no key, maybe 9-10 on the scale? Maybe further evidence, before posting a reply, as to their intentions? Maybe a little test?

If you are asking for specifics, then obviously have some knowledge about the subject, but a statement of fact required..is this for info, or are you going to attempt this? If it's judged they would attempt to do the work. No reply.

Sponsored Links
I think it comes down to personal responsibility for one's actions. That includes being responsible enough to realize when you are out of your depth with any particular task and accepting that it is beyond your present level of understanding and ability to carry out the job properly and safely (whether wiring, gas work, car repairs, or anything else).

I'm not suggesting that anyone should encourage somebody to do work when it becomes clear that he doesn't really understand the subject well enough to do the job, but equally I don't think it's helpful to adopt a blanket "You don't seem competent so we won't answer your question" approach either. Providing information can aid learning, and in some cases could also have the beneficial effect of making the casual inquirer realize that there is more to doing the job properly than just "join red to red and black to black" or "couple this pipe to that pipe." This forum is, after all, supposedly aimed at "Do It Yourself" work, so surely an element of teaching principles is a natural part of that? Ultimately, the person considering the doing the work is still responsible for his own actions.

As far as the gas side is concerned, obviously the site owners are free to impose whatever rules they see fit regarding posts about such work, private forum areas, and so on. But I will say that I think there are one or two misleading statements in the "DIY Gas" announcement, here:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8090

I think it comes down to personal responsibility for one's actions. That includes being responsible enough to realize when you are out of your depth with any particular task and accepting that it is beyond your present level of understanding and ability to carry out the job properly and safely (whether wiring, gas work, car repairs, or anything else).

I'm not suggesting that anyone should encourage somebody to do work when it becomes clear that he doesn't really understand the subject well enough to do the job, but equally I don't think it's helpful to adopt a blanket "You don't seem competent so we won't answer your question" approach either. Providing information can aid learning, and in some cases could also have the beneficial effect of making the casual inquirer realize that there is more to doing the job properly than just "join red to red and black to black" or "couple this pipe to that pipe." This forum is, after all, supposedly aimed at "Do It Yourself" work, so surely an element of teaching principles is a natural part of that? Ultimately, the person considering the doing the work is still responsible for his own actions.

As far as the gas side is concerned, obviously the site owners are free to impose whatever rules they see fit regarding posts about such work, private forum areas, and so on. But I will say that I think there are one or two misleading statements in the "DIY Gas" announcement, here:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8090[/QUOTE]

I would tend to agree with all points including your last statement Paul

Sponsored Links
Well, on that last point, this the specific part which contains several points I would take exception to:

If you can prove competence, you are allowed legally to diy gas in your own home. This does not however, apply to doing gas work for family and friends even if for free!!

Competence is only proven by passing ACS exams and having the ability to carry out certain safety tests required by law .

Back