US Petrol Prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I work for a US company, and have just heard from a colleague that the price of a gallon of unleaded in Maryland has gone up from $2.40/gallon to $3.45/gallon since Wednesday, and is predicted to hit $4.00/gallon around mid-month.

Obviously this is low compared to over here, but given that the US economy is largely built around very low gas prices, and the fact that they all drive round in 10 mpg Hummers, you can expect an almighty crash in the US economy very soon, and doubtless some knock-on over here too.

I remember being over in 1999, and gas had just gone through the $1.00/gallon mark, and there was near-revolution at the time.....

Sponsored Links
johnny_t said:
............ the fact that they all drive round in 10 mpg Hummers...........

The company you work for wouldn't be one of Rupert Murdoch's fact bending "news" vendors would it?

Nothing so exciting, I'm afraid - Just yer' average all-American electronic components manufacturer.....

Sponsored Links
johnny_t said:
I work for a US company, and have just heard from a colleague that the price of a gallon of unleaded in Maryland has gone up from $2.40/gallon to $3.45/gallon since Wednesday, and is predicted to hit $4.00/gallon around mid-month.

and they think there havin to pay loads for fuel? they should try livin here for a while

Some friends of Mrs Secure's family are coming over from NY state later this month. They'll need bypass surgery when they see how much they'll be spending!

Well it might not be such a rude awakening, once they get into actual costs per mile. As a rule of thumb, I've been telling Americans for years that our petrol is about $8.00 per gallon - If they are going to be nudging up to about half that level BUT their cars usually do less than half the mpg that we're used to (because artificially high petrol prices have, correctly, forced us Europeans to have more economical cars), then we are not doing so bad.

Either way, if you are used to cheap gas and it suddenly doubles, that's got to sting, hasn't it.......

Back