Has the tumble dryer in the garage finished? Suggestions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have recently installed my tumble dryer in the garage, which is working out well.

The only downside is that I have no way of telling when it is finished.

Does any one have any suggestions?

In my mind I am wondering if there is a device that will detect when a socket is being used and will light some sort of indicator. This indicator could be mounted somewhere such as the kitchen...

Does such a device exist?

Any (sensible) suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
It certainly would be possible to acheive what you want, but is it worh the effort. Cant you set a countdown alarm on your phone for the same duration as the tumble dryer timer when you put it on?

KISS

A good suggestion, but it is a sensor dryer, so we never know how long it will take.

I'm sure we'll get used to how long it takes eventually so, as you say, I don't care that much, I just wondered if there was an existing device or method that I'm not aware of.
Thanks

Sensor dryers can run from 30mins to 1 1/2 hrs depending on load. So I would say no such device unless you check it after a hr or so.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of either detecting load on the socket, or somehow using the indicator light on the front of the machine (but probably invalidating the warranty).

I could always use something like one of those master/slave standby power strips with a low-wattage light attached to one of the slave sockets. BTW, it is a gas tumble dryer, so the current load is relatively low.

As Adam said, I want to KISS.

Baby alarm / monitor srt up so you can either hear your washing going around, or one that sounds an alarm when the 'baby' (tumble drier) stops 'breathing' (churning your washing around)

The technology to install a phone SIM card in something like a tumble driermust exist somewhere, so it phones or texts you when it's done, but that's probably OTT.

Definitely OTT ;)

I just saw the Belkin F7C005AF Conserve Insight Cost Monitor, which is a bit OTT, bit would work. Then I thought about my British Gas EnergySmart meter (which goes for next to nothing on ebay as BG give them away), but when I tried it on the flex it doesn't work - it only works when the sensor is wrapped around the live by itself.

I am getting closer...

You could sense the light emitted from the on light on the machine. Using it to hold open the send TXT button on an old Nokia phone. So that when the light goes out the switch closes and sends the TXT to you? Photo diode/transistor tapes to the front of the machine connected to a miniature relay should do it?
Nokia 3330 as cheap as chips on E-bay, and easy to solder wires across the send switch to connect the relay.

More like a project, rather than a solution?

Definitely more of a project!

I think I can re-purpose the Belkin F7C005AF for my needs. Thanks for all the input everyone.
Kevin

as said baby alarm
or a motion sensor connected to an electric chair :eek:

How about a home energy monitor. This will tell you that you're suddenly using less Kwh. Obviously not foolproof as the power your drier uses will vary with drying/only tumbling cycle, and it will also vary when someone goes for a shower or puts the kettle on etc, but hey it's dead easy to install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back