Haunched? Downpipe knackered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The gutter downpipe is cemented into the ground.

This has perished. I had river in last night's rain where either its blocked with moss, or, just unable to cope with deluge.

See expert pic
20201229_095826.jpg

I know the sewer/drain (brown lines) runs left to right as there is a drain cover just out of shot to the left.

I assume the downpipe joins via the dotted yellow lines as its the shortest route.

Blue is the rather deep river I had last night. House is old (100+ yrs).

Am I correct that ideal world is it needs digging out, potentially unblocking (silt/moss) and flaunching again?

Is it also probable I'll find clay? pipes and they have cracked / perished etc?

Is this a diy job? If not, anyone want to hazard ballpark costs to renew this?

For a temp fix, I could reroute the downpipe as per below. That is the kitchen outlet drain. Then wait till warm and dry weather to dig it up and fix.

I assume this is ok, as rain, sink and toilet water all go to the same drain.

20201229_100812.jpg

Appreciate any advice

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
about going into the water butt with a hose into the gully
Good idea. Saves on faffing a 3m run.

My concern is if a deluge fills the butt before. it can drain. That downpipe is the only one for the entire house (detached), so is draining the whole roof.

Pragmatically, even if it did, it's no worse than whats currently happening (a stream) and the butts are on a sloped handstanding. The butt also has an overflow pipe

Nice idea. Thank you

May well be a gulley under that downpipe, I would do a bit of (careful) digging. If property is on a combined system, the rainwater would be connected via a trapped gulley. I suspect someone may have concreted it over for appearance sakes, now the gulley pot is full of crud and the water cant get away. Worst case scenario, if pot is knackered, as long as you can cut back to a decent bit of pipe, fitting a Bottle Gulley isnt difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back