Haunching Stepped Patio Slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I laid about 150 riven patio slabs last Spring.

Our house is about 2ft off the ground as it was built just after a very big flood in the area, so I had to build a few steps up to the back door. To reduce the number of steps required, I built the section of patio around the back door higher, and progressively reduced the height of the patio twice more as it headed towards the lawn. As a result, there are two 'steps' between the different sections of the patio (around 2" high).

I've tripped twice, and I'm worried my little one will do the same but with worse consequences now he's nearly walking.

Is haunching the two steps with a 1:3 sand/cement mix a good solution? I ask as I'm unsure as to the longevity of concrete laid onto the top of utility slabs. I'm also unsure how to get a clean and crisp line. I've attached a crude MS Paint image to reference the area I'm talking about.

Attachments

• slab.png
    slab.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
I don't know if doing that will make it any less likely for people to trip on it. If anything it's easier to see a step than a ramp.

Due to its small height, the step tends to blend in quite well. A strip of sloped concrete would - I hope - be more visible and eliminate the chances of a foot striking the side of a slab.

Sponsored Links
I did think that, but still prefer the idea of haunching. How would you cap the slab?

I was thinking one of those L shaped step edges you see on stairs in commercial buildings, or a similar thing. Perhaps even something as simple as grinding a set of grooves into the surface of the slab (fill them with a different coloured resin?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back