haunted plumbing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right! If this isn't the paranormal at work then I don't know what it is. I don't know what it is anyway, which is why I'm on here to see if any of you lot do, but anyhow.....

Customer has nicely, recently refurbished house, 4 or 5 year old combi (can't remember what make), and when she turns her hot bath tap on the basin and sink taps (both lever mixers) run slowly, and the toilet cistern fills up! Actually not sure if the toilet fills up with either of the bath taps on, but when she runs a bath it causes the cistern to fill. The only way she can get it to stop is by flushing the toilet, which fills the cistern normally and then stops, but still both basin and sink taps run when hot bath tap on. Does she need a plumber or an excorcist?

Sponsored Links
No problem if the cistern fills up, they are supposed to be full. If the basin taps run when the bath fills, just turn them off.

No problem if the cistern fills up, they are supposed to be full. If the basin taps run when the bath fills, just turn them off.

Hey, that's excellent! I always like the "funny" replies you sometimes get on here! I think you mis-spelt your name, you're surely "bengagsman"!

Right! If this isn't the paranormal at work then I don't know what it is. I don't know what it is anyway, which is why I'm on here to see if any of you lot do, but anyhow.....

Customer has nicely, recently refurbished house, 4 or 5 year old combi (can't remember what make), and when she turns her hot bath tap on the basin and sink taps (both lever mixers) run slowly, and the toilet cistern fills up! Actually not sure if the toilet fills up with either of the bath taps on, but when she runs a bath it causes the cistern to fill. The only way she can get it to stop is by flushing the toilet, which fills the cistern normally and then stops, but still both basin and sink taps run when hot bath tap on. Does she need a plumber or an excorcist?
if the cistern fills when customer uses hot tap then a valve which is joining the hot snd cold is passing, simple as that, finding it is a bit trickier, it will either be a shower valve without check valves or a blending valve, have also seen one caused by faulty solenoid on a washing machine causing cross flow between hot and cold
you dont say whether lever taps that are running are hot or cold, if hot it might simply be pressure forcing poor tap open, if it is the cold tap now dripping with hot it is linked to the faulty mixer

Sponsored Links
I may be misreading this. Are you saying that the cistern is full anyway, but when she turns on the tap(s), it fills even more due to some pressure loss within the valve?

if the cistern fills when customer uses hot tap then a valve which is joining the hot snd cold is passing, simple as that, finding it is a bit trickier, it will either be a shower valve without check valves or a blending valve, have also seen one caused by faulty solenoid on a washing machine causing cross flow between hot and cold
you dont say whether lever taps that are running are hot or cold, if hot it might simply be pressure forcing poor tap open, if it is the cold tap now dripping with hot it is linked to the faulty mixer

Cheers. The mixer taps on the basin and kitchen sink seem to be running cold. The bath taps are seperate hot and cold, but obviously there could be a mixer valve on the hot. Both basin and sink taps look to be in good order. Stripped them down and they look fine. Can't believe both of them are faulty, one maybe but not two. Will try to find a mixer valve, and also isolate both mixer taps/shower/washing machine in turn. Cheers again.

I may be misreading this. Are you saying that the cistern is full anyway, but when she turns on the tap(s), it fills even more due to some pressure loss within the valve?

Yeah, that's right. Cistern full and both basin and sink mixer taps turned off. She fills bath, both mixers run slightly (only when hot bath tap, which isn't a mixer, is on) and toilet cistern fills even more, causing it to overflow into the pan EXCEPT it only happened once while I was there and she flushed the toilet straight away which stopped it, and I couldn't get it to do it again in the hour I was there. It must fill up very quickly, though, as she said there was water around the base of the pan, so it must be overflowing over the (concealed) cistern faster than it can overflow into the pan.

The more I think about it, it has to be a faulty mixer somewhere. Thanks my friend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back