Have a 100mA RCD, How can I improve to 30mA (and do I need to)

SFK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my Garage I noticed that my Merlin Gerin Consumer unit has a 100mA RCCB protecting the MCBs circuits.

EDIT: This CU has its own independent supply, straight from DNO/mains, with its own meter, and no prior RCD.

Ignore the labels for large machines, these have all long gone, and the three phase reduced to one phase (all before my time). And although all socket circuits are rings - it is noted that they are 20A MCBs.

I am using sockets for Bandsaw, table sander, hand tools and lawn mower (outside).

So to my questions - I use the Sockets for small workshop tools, and I 'think' I would prefer to have 30mA protection rather than 100mA.

1) Am I correct in this assumption of wanting 30mA - or can I stay with 100mA protection?

2) If I wish to change to 30mA can I simply get the MCBs on only the 'Sockets' changed to RCBOs (this unit can also take Schneider RCBOs).

Thanks, SFK

IMG_6828 12.jpg

IMG_9123 33.jpg

IMG_5540 22.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
First of all how is this garage CU fed? If it is already RCD protected in the house at 30mA you don't need to do anything.

Sorry should have said this garage is - straight from mains, to its own meter, to this CU.
No RCD prior to this CU.
SFK

Sponsored Links
Winston,
With thanks for that.

My MCBs state that they are "B20"
Whereas most/all of the Schneider RCBOs state that they are "C20",

What is my risk in changing from Type B to Type C?

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back