Have I been done?How much plaster and how much Tile Adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently gave a builder who is doing work for me a materials float on the understating that they would give me all receipts and account for the money.

They tiled a smallish bathroom (12 sq meters of tiles) and a cloakroom (4 sq meters of tiles) but they bought 7 packs of tile adhesive at 20 Kg/pack and 140 kg in total! Cost = £175.

They also bought 175kg of plaster (multi finish) to skim the ceiling of my lounge which was previously artexed.

There are also lots of other things on the receipts that are as yet unexplained...

I think I am being taken for a mug - could anyone advise?

Cheers

Spindona

Sponsored Links
Did they give you a price for the job? are you paying them day rate? are these english speaking with no accent?

Andy

That must be a heck of a lounge ceiling to take seven 25kg bags of multi finish to plaster it.. What other "unexplained" things are on the receipt. I would watch out for this lot if i were you!!

Hi thanks for the replies,

They speak "some" english.....

They have quoted for the labour, but I was to pay for all the materials.

Sam

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention 9kg of grout (3 bags), hacksaw blades and a "pipe cutter" - no way was I expecting to pay for their tools.

The till description for most of the items is too cryptic to understand.

Any idea how far 9kg of grout would go?

Sam

They tiled a smallish bathroom (12 sq meters of tiles) and a cloakroom (4 sq meters of tiles) but they bought 7 packs of tile adhesive at 20 Kg/pack and 140 kg in total!
16 sq/m of tiles would need 3 x 20kg bags of powder cement addy at most for floors; but you probably get aways with 2 bags on walls depending on what they were like.

They also bought 175kg of plaster (multi finish) to skim the ceiling of my lounge which was previously artexed.
7 x 25 kg of Multi will cover between 35-60 sq/m depending on the depth of plaster needed to cover the pattern.

I think I am being taken for a mug
So do I ;)

Any idea how far 9kg of grout would go?
Depends on tile size, thickness & grout lines; 9kg of grout over a typical 300 x 300 x 9mm tile floor with 3mm grout joints would do around 30 sq/m or 20sq/m for 200 x 200 x 9mm; wider joints = more grout.

Your location makes you vulnerable :idea: IF they have done a fair job - let them do no more , and put it down to The Surrey Experience ;)

Go for respected local tradesmen,,,, i wouldn't touch the type you're on about, with a bargepole,,, except maybe ramming it up their arses as they leave the property. :LOL:

I'd like do exactly as your suggest with that bargepole unfortunately there are laws preventing it and there are more of them than me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back