Have I been ripped off with my powerflush? :-(

johnd some nice pics there, nice to see the spirotech in working, one question whats that ingenious little pink thing in front, is it a new aav or something, im intrigued

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses.

The boiller is a vaillant ecotec plus.

I contacted the guy and he says he will come back in a couple of weeks. I wont count that chicken until its hatched!

Rather annoyingly in his email he says "nowhere in our quote did we mention a 5 years guarentee" and yet when i look on his website one of the things it states is that they offer a 5 year warrenty! http://www.powerflushuk.com/mission.htm
whats going on there? that not only annoys me but worries me as his response makes him seem like a cowboy and makes me think this could all be a nightmare :(

he also says "I would also point out that we made you aware of the fact your system is made up of Speedfit and Hep2o plastic which allows air ingress and promotes rust / sludge very quickly"
to what extent is that true? how quickly does it promote sludge? monthly??! is there any point getting our system flushed at all then?? We have top quality speedfit products not cheap rubbish.

The rad pipes are not microbore.
He took water samples and gave is the ph before and after. Plus TDS reading (whatever that is).

Mehran - He put checmicals in before and after. He left behind 2 empty bottles of Systemsafe-DM inhibitor and 1 empty bottle sentinel x800 jetflo flushing chemical.
We havent topped up the system at all, should we be?

One more question. The first floor of our house (originally a 1940s bungalow) is only 5 years old plus all the rads downstairs are new-ish. Obviously the previous owner (who was the builder) didnt get a pf done when he added to/upgraded the system. But how come we have so much sludge if 90% of our system is new? Could it be the ground floor piping (original to ground floor of house im assuming) thats the problem? If so then how does one remove cr*p from pipes that cant be removed or vibrated like a rad?

Thanks in advance.

its quite simple. It hasn't been flushed properly. Tds reading is helpful, assuming its a true reading from your system and not your tap! Plastic pipe would not cause corrosion in a few months, bullplop. If barrier pipe has been used then you shouldn't really get any problems at all. I'm sure the manufacturer of the pipe would happily give you a written response as to if their pipe causes corrosion. Ask them why on their website it states that it takes 5 to 8 hours and yet it only took them 4. They're beginning to sound like cowboys. The fact that they advertise a 5 year guarantee on their website would probably be enough for trading standards regardless of whether its on the quote or not. Did they give you a "powerflushuk certificate" as advertised on their website? if so what information does it have?

Sponsored Links
Agree with Mickey; 6 no way you could get problems this fast, even if your pipes were made of straws.
Defo cowboy job. Defo trying to talk himself out of it. If you have email denying warrantee, whilst it clearly says so on the website, I would give him one week to do it properly, or trading standards action.
I wouldn't worry about loosing goodwill; he doesn't have any.

It was Friday, these guys just couldn't wait to take your money and go to the pub.

They seem like a father & son double act, not plumbers but band wagon jumping powerflushing chancers out to make a fast buck. :cry:

It may be worth printing out a screen copy of their website before they change the wording on it! May not hold up in court, but at least it's worth a shout. Or it may be worth asking trading standards to check the site out anyway, since it'll be more valid than his word against yours, should he have the 5 year guarantee removed from it.

No we didnt get a certificate. I was 9 months pg at the time of the flush so havent had the time or energy to pursue things like that, until now.

I have saved a copy of the webpage which says about the guarantee. I was going to ask him about that discrepancy when i replied to his email but hubby told me not to as may wind the guy up and then we'll defo never see him again.

Assuming hes true to his word and does come back in 2 weeks, is there anything you guys think i should check or ask for. Also how long should the second powerflush take? Think i'll make sure its not done on a friday this time!

The readings he emailed us were:

TDS READING: TAP 420 Ph READING: TAP 7
SYSTEM 2000 SYSTEM 7.1
SYSTEM NOW 440 SYSTEM NOW 6.8

Should i report him to TS even if he does come back? Obviously he has my address and i dont want any trouble :(

Hard to say how long the second one should take.
You could say half the job is already done, so half the normal time.
For the same money you could argue that only the easily shifting stuff has been removed and all the hard work still needs doing.
TDS reading system vs tap seems good.
What does your magnaclean look like inside?

What does your magnaclean look like inside?

We were advised by the pf guy to check it after 6 months, this we did last weekend and it was 1-2cm thick with black iron all over the magnet.
General wisdom on the forum seems to be: check after 1-2 weeks. If not much in it, leave it for a while, but if noticeable build up, keep cleaning regularly until it doesn't seem worth bothering. At that point, you make the intervals longer.

I would advise giving the guy a chance to come back and do the flush again, even try and be nice despite the way they have and are behaving. Reason being no one wants to go through the hassle of courts, TS etc.... as much as we'd all love too! I would still expect it to take around 8 hours or even more depending on the condition of the system, but its not for me to say precisely. As for your tds reading, 420 out of the tap is extrememly high! In the US they consider anything over 500 unsuitable for consumption :eek:

As for your tds reading, 420 out of the tap is extrememly high! In the US they consider anything over 500 unsuitable for consumption :eek:

what is tds and is there any way i can test it myself? i have a baby im making bottles from that tap for!!

If they have offered to come back for another go I would forget all about Trading Standards and let them try and make amends.

This must be the best result for both parties.

You will find that on a badly sludged system like yours that some magnetite will remain in the rads and there is only so much a Powerflush can achieve. It will never return a badly corroded system to new condition. In other words, the Magnaclean will continue to pick stuff up.

However, 4 hrs to do 18 rads is optimistic. 20 mins per rad minimum, plus an hour's set up time. That is seven hours or more.

As for your tds reading, 420 out of the tap is extrememly high! In the US they consider anything over 500 unsuitable for consumption :eek:

what is tds and is there any way i can test it myself? i have a baby im making bottles from that tap for!!
No point in testing, just stick a waterfilter under the sink with a separate spout. Health benefits are disputed, but I don't like drinking chlorine, and your tea and coffee will taste a damn site better. Simple carbon filter takes out anything harmful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back