Have I been ripped off with my powerflush? :-(

Are there any particular brands of line strainers that are better or worse than average in terms of filtering, cleaning, installing, longevity, or whatever?

Sponsored Links
dm where do you get your line strainers from? never seen one and im not convinced with the new magnaclean, so line strainer and old magnaclean might be worth a look

there a great idea, you had any problems with them actually blocking the system at the strainer? Tony's idea of a gauze filter on the outlet of the magnaclean is a better idea than the twintech in my opinion

Sponsored Links
Heard nothing but problems from twintech, and they are bloody expensive as well.

there a great idea, you had any problems with them actually blocking the system at the strainer? Tony's idea of a gauze filter on the outlet of the magnaclean is a better idea than the twintech in my opinion

Tony's idea?! :LOL: I've been fitting these strainers with spirovent dirt seps for over 10 years now! If the system is very dirty on a combi then they can block and give poor c/h but hw ok which is a quick fix to clean out, boilers like the vaillants and gw's will usually give an F22 fault when this happens. I usually show customers with a little savvy how to do it themselves and although you get less repeat work for breakdowns you will get recommendations. ;)

Protects plates and giannoni h/exch a treat.

cheers ill give it a go then, only mentioned our friend as he bangs on about how he does it, seems a good thing to do, like bengasman said im not impressed with the twintech

might start having a look at the spirovent. Do they come out the same sort of price as the old magnaclean?

Having looked at the Magnetic Spirovent, it seems to me that the magnet is just a gimmick, because it seems it can only act on particles that have already fallen into the collecting chamber :confused:

The old type seems to me to work, especially on non-magnetic particles which the Magnaclean can't trap. I don't doubt that the Magnetic Spirovent is just as good as the ordinary Spirovent.

View media item 3406
and here are the first three samples I took out - you see how they got cleaner after time

View media item 3784
However on an old system, with a big load of Magnetite (black sludge) I think the Magnaclean is fantastic

View media item 3408
View media item 12016
I am a householder not a pro

i've used the linestrainers with magnacleans for the last 2 years and just linestrainers prior to that. Touch wood but not had any problems with the plate exchangers.

I have had to remove the finer gauze on the linstrainers for large systems with more than 15 rads as the flow restriction was a little too much.

The amount of debris that get stuck in the strainers has been very little.

might start having a look at the spirovent. Do they come out the same sort of price as the old magnaclean?

they're cheaper at the merchants than the magnaclean but I pick em up on ebay for peanuts. ;)

johnd you are right about the spirovent and the magnet but every little helps. ;)

they are so easy to empty/clean that even an old granny could do it whereas the magnaclean can be very stiff and seize up.

snb on the larger systems I think a weak/undersized pump was the problem rather than the strainer too resctrictive.

The pf allegedly comes with a lifetime warrenty. £700 getting the pf done and mc fitted.

If it is a genuin lifteime warrantie from a company who you expect to be around for the rest of your life then it is good value.

It isn't certain that all the sludge will be evicted in the first attempt. As long as they come back to repeat as often as it takes, you have your money's worth. If they refuse you go to trading standards.

a couple of points.

1, powerflushing IMO does more harm then good when done wrong because you have most likely loosen a load of crap with out taking out :eek:

2, 18 rads would take two bottles of inhibitor in my view. what chemical did he use in the first place to pf? and did they inhibitor the system afterwards?

3, you not topping up your system every week are you? fresh water will make your system go bad fast.

4, I would never tell a customer to just wait 6 months. you need to get a sense of what your system is like. check every week for the first 3 weeks. if you are only getting a mans 5 o'clock shadow after a week then sure leave it 6 months. if it is 1 or 2 days worth of beard growth then check more regularly.

I dont own a powerflushing unit but strangely have almost no problems with the boilers we fit getting bunged up ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back