Have I bought the wrong kind of 1-Gang switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I'm trying to replace a 1-gang light switch due to a faulty toggle which keeps falling out of the switch plate. I've attached a photo of the existing circuitry, but it consists of fairly straightforward live and neutral in to the switch, and an earth cable which is screwed in to the internal metal housing.

The replacement that I bought is also a 1-gang switch, but has a power LED, and it seems to have L and N in, along with L and N out. I've tried googling but all the 1-gang light switch documentation I've found only references COM, L1, and L2, so not sure what I'm supposed to do with my replacement.

As a side note, I have one of those voltage detector wands, and it was giving a high reading by the switch, and then I turned the mains fuse off, which turned the light off, but the wand was still giving a warning beep for voltage being present (albiet not as strong as before). Is that normal? Should I take any other precautions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230126_172729255 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230126_172729255 - Copy.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20230126_172721352 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230126_172721352 - Copy.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20230126_104404697 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230126_104404697 - Copy.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
fairly straightforward live and neutral in to the switch,

:unsure: The black wire is not a neutral. It is the switched live.

It's not really the right type of switch, but if you like how it looks, put the red in L IN, and the black in L OUT. Leave the earth where it is.

If you were hoping for the LED to light up... it won't.

:unsure: The black wire is not a neutral. It is the switched live.

Put the red in L IN, and the black in L OUT. Leave the earth where it is.

If you were hoping for the LED to light up... it won't.

Thanks. Yea, don't really care about the LED lighting up tbh, happy enough for it to stay off

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far.

Does anyone have any comment on the voltage detector and whether the light is safe to work on even though its still showing a reading? As mentioned, I had turned off the mains fuse already.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back