Have I done the right thing?

Thanks for the advice folks - didn't mean to kick off anything though :oops:

Guess my sucess or faulure rate will be measured by me either posting back here or in the DIY disasters thread on Monday morning.... Wish me luck :)

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
PVC is a generic term for 'plastic'.

No it's not!

PVC = Polyvinyl Chloride, which is the polymer of Vinyl Chloride, which is CH2CHCl.

Poly-Propylene, on the other hand, is a polymer of propylene, which is a bit like butene only different. Chemically quite similar to poly-ethyl-ene.

PVC ain't the same as any other plastic. The best generic term for 'plastic' would be the word 'plastic'. that's what most people use.

Don't use Boss White, it's illegal on potable water and will possibly rot the plastic.

My suggestion is to use Fernox LSX on the white nylon washer on the outside, or change the fitting for a pushfit tank connector, they seal wonderfully when only hand tight (so they don't distort the tank by being enthusiastically overtightened) and they dont come loose when adjusting the outlet pipe orientation (ie loosening the compression nut)

Sponsored Links
Meldrew it isn't potable water.

Does Boss White rot plastic? Have you a reference for that?

slippyr4 said:
joe-90 said:

No it's not!

PVC = Polyvinyl Chloride, which is the polymer of Vinyl Chloride, which is CH2CHCl.

Poly-Propylene, on the other hand, is a polymer of propylene, which is a bit like butene only different. Chemically quite similar to poly-ethyl-ene.

PVC ain't the same as any other plastic. The best generic term for 'plastic' would be the word 'plastic'. that's what most people use.

Well if you want to be pedantic then PVC has become the 'vernacular' for plastic.

Google on that one like you did the last one.

joe

joe-90 said:
slippyr4 said:
joe-90 said:

No it's not!

Well if you want to be pedantic then PVC has become the 'vernacular' for plastic.

Google on that one like you did the last one.

joe

Exactly, but only to people don't know any better, (or anything at all come to that).

When plastic/PVC windows came into fashion, then the two were so often cross refered to that in vernacular speech they mean the same thing.

"I've got plastic windows"

"We are going for PVC windows".

It's a fact.

joe

effin groaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnn!! You are typing probably on a plastic keyboard, I can tell you what type of plastic it is probably made of. Can you tell me? (It's abbreviation is 3 letters)

joe-90 said:
Plastic is a generic term, but PVC isn't - it's an abbreviation for polyvinyl chloride - a very specific type of plastic.

joe-90 said:
I didn't think for a moment...
You should prefix all your postings with that phrase.

joe-90 said:
All I've done is try to help people with either something I know about or a relevant personal experience. Why is he taking it all so seriously?

The trouble is that you haven't got the message that you aren't helping - you're hindering. The things you purport to know are not facts - all indications are that they're little fantaties inside your head. The experience that you have is really not that valuable, so if you're carrying out work for other people then you ought to embark on some more training before you lift another finger.

It's a fact

maybe, in the context of windows, but not anything else.

How often do you get asked if you'd like a PVC bag to carry your shopping home in? Never.

When paying for something in a shop, do you decide to "stick it on the PVC"? no, the plastic.

YOU are being pedantic- you were wrong before and are trying to argue a point which you know isn't right.

Who cares what we call what tanks are made of, long as we know how to joint to it without getting a leak now or in future?

I'm still all agog to hear whether boss white has some sort of coka cola properties (eats things).

joe-90 said:
When plastic/PVC windows came into fashion, then the two were so often cross refered to that in vernacular speech they mean the same thing.

"I've got plastic windows"

"We are going for PVC windows".

It's a fact.

joe

No - that is not a fact. In any case I believe that plastic windows are invariably made of unplasticised PVC, in order to better survive ultravoilet light.

This is a forum for technical specifics and real facts, not English idioms popularised by idiots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back