Have I done the right thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning chaps,
Just wanted to check this before I take the plunge and finish the job I'm working on -

Fitted a new cold water storage tank in my loft last weekend (need to increase hot water pressure from the h/w tank etc etc), last weekend I fitted the tank up in the loft (old one's in the airing cupboard not in the loft so I've left it connected up and supplying water this week) and this weekend I'm going to connect up the new one.
But - I've got the nagging doubt in my mind that I may have lashed up slightly on the tank connectons.... Basically I used a 22mm tank connector to feed out of the tank, and in the absence of any washers etc used a health dollop of silicone sealant to go between both sides of the connector and the actual tank itself to act as a seal. Have I done the right thing? Will that suffice as a seal for it seeing as I've tightened it as much as I can? Will it leak? Or should I replace it with somehting else before I take the plunge and fill the thing up with water...

All advice / reassurance / scorn appreciated as I'm loosing sleep on this :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'd leave it - it's the inside flange which has to seal, and there are only those silly translucent washers with writing all over to stop them being flat.

ArtfulBodger said:
There is really only one way to tell :)

This is true - however the "way to tell" - if resulting in a response of "oh - it doesn't work" will also result in me getting what is known in domestic circles as "a kicking, plus a night on the sofa" - and I really don't want that ;)

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't trust it personally. I'd rather see nice rubber washers myself.

joe

This is true - however the "way to tell" .......
Don't get me wrong, you gotta test everything.

There are no rubber washers commonly available which are suitable for this application. They only look nice to those who know no better.

Silicone doesn't stick to PVC. Only a nice rubber washer will do the trick.

Joe if you have a source of suitable rubber washers please share it?

Some people make a gromet of ptfe, others use hemp and boss white.

Hemp and boss white is messier and takes a little longer to construct NEVER fails in skilled hands. PTFE is worth a go in the first instance.

Pull off a good length and twist it into a string, Wrap it round two fingers for 22mm pipe build up plenty of body, then stop, hold it in the form of a ring and contain it by wraping over and under all round the ring so it doesn't split or spread when you tighten up. Put it at the back of the tank connector, use the useless nylon washer on the outside nit to seal but to allow the nut to slip so you get maximum tightening force. Hold the inside part with a large flat bit and a small adjustable spanner, if you can picture what I mean.

Hemp and boss white method is much the same but first pull off some strands and pull those through your fingers which are precoated with loads of boss white, repeat until you have enough costed strands, twist them together and follow above instructions. Thius one will never fail. Don't use it on potable water.

Plenty of silicones do stick to pvc, LSX for example. Not that it's necessary in this case - washers don't stick either - and the silicone would be anchored in the middle. It would also outlast ordinary rubber washers very well.

I know two sources of different section "rubber" washers which would fit but they're all low grade stuff and wouldn't really be suitable because of low fatigue and oxidation properties - though some non-plumbers would use them anyway :rolleyes: .

The weak part of your theory, Chris, is that water tanks aren't made of PVC, they are made of polypropylene. Nothing stick to it due to its unsual polymer makeup.

joe

joe said:
water tanks aren't made of PVC
Joe, you're the one who said PVC in the first place, implying that that's what tanks were made from. Nobody else said tanks were made from PVC.
joe said:
Silicone doesn't stick to PVC
You really ought to be a little more careful with your posts or you'll find yourself ****ing off a lot of regular posters. You have been warned... :evil:

chrishutt said:
joe said:
water tanks aren't made of PVC
Joe, you're the one who said PVC in the first place, implying that that's what tanks were made from. Nobody else said tanks were made from PVC.
joe said:
Silicone doesn't stick to PVC
You really ought to be a little more careful with your posts or you'll find yourself p******g off a lot of regular posters. You have been warned... :evil:

PVC is a generic term for 'plastic'. I didn't think for a moment he would take it literally. Let's face it, the guy is gunning for me. Whenever he thinks I've made a mistake (as if!) he jumps in.

All I've done is try to help people with either something I know about or a relevant personal experience. Why is he taking it all so seriously?

joe

ChrisR said:
experience
Not your strong point in plumbing matters though, is it.

Well actually I work on houses as a full-time job. Not just plumbing, but everything from the foundations upwards. I didn't realise you knew me well enough to judge me. Then again if you think silicone adheres to polypropylene I wonder what your experience is.

joe

Washers are to support cheapshite thin tank sides, put a nylon washer on both sides to support walls of tank, use a build up of ptfe on the inside washer wraped round connecter threads slightly biger than hole size, this then pulls into hole sit to same shape as hole and seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back