Have I got damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The inner face of my external cellar wall is covered in a grey - feels almost rubbery - thick film with a regular pattern of slightly raised wavy concentrations of what appears to be the same substance. Looks like hundreds of tiny worms. It's a brick wall with powdery rendering (lime I would think). The wall is very cold to the touch and this stuff rubs off slightly to the touch and comes off with a scraper with some effort. But that part of the cellar doesn't appear to be damp, although a small adjoining room flooded from below five years age with the rain. No problem since. I can't decide if it's organic or artificial or whatever, and I don't want to remove it, not least because of the hassle but in case it's some kind of damp proof application. If it is could it still be effective or is this a sign it's degraded? The house is Victorian with the cellar in long disuse. This wall has been like this in the six years I've lived here and hasn't (apparently) changed. This substance covers just the one wall and meets the adjoining walls at their edges, like it's been deliberately applied. I don't know how to contact the previous owner. I'm baffled. Help would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back