Have I had Cavity Wall insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I have attached a picture showing my exterior brick work at the front of the house. I cam see circle in the brick work. Is this cavity wall insulation? Please look at the images and let me know!

you may have to rotate the first image 90 degrees to the right.

Is this cavity wall insulation?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't normally drill into the brick and also it's normal to fill the holes after...!

Thanks but I am not sure what you mean? Does this mean these holes DO NOT represent cavity wall insulation? These holes were here when I moved in...

Sponsored Links
cavity wall is usually fed through the pointing and not the brick itself.

did you buy the house? if so, did the surveyor not pick this up?

are they any plug fixings in the holes?

Is that doorway in an "alclove"?
Looks like a metal security gate was fixed with the hole size and distance from the frame.

I have a bay window, and the door is on the side of the window. The holes aren't fixings for a metal gate as the wholes are every where on the front wall, top to bottom, every 4 bricks down and across. No other house on the terraces block has it and I can't see any plugs. The texture of the wholes is almost soft, as though it has been filled...

What can this be??

Sounds like some sort of cavity filling to me then.

This might help
All professional approved installing firms are members of CIGA and can apply for a CIGA

http://www.ciga.co.uk/

If there is no obvious bulging to the walls, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think a lot of mortgage company surveys request wall ties are replaced as part of a purchase.

They normally come to this decision purely by the age of the property, not the actual condition the ties are in.

The only sure way to inspect is to put a camera down the cavity from the loft.

The fact it has been done saves you having to do it, and stops any future purchaser using it as a bargaining tool to get money off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back