Have I picked the right size doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

I'm gearing up to buy 4 new oak veneer DX30 doors and wondered if anyone with experience could tell me if the sizes I've picked look ok (if you turned up to fit them) please?

About the doors:

Trimming allowance: -
8mm (0.3") each stile
8mm (0.3") top and bottom

Lipping size: -
16mm (0.65") on all 4 edges

IMG_7164.JPG

IMG_7163.JPG

Note: I'll be packing out the cellar frame to lower it to suit the 1981mm door. I'll be re plastering and changing the arc anyway so it will be easy enough to do as there wasn't a 2032mm to suit the width.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you think this may be better suited for the Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry section?

If so does anyone know if I can have this thread moved over to save a duplication?

Cheers

It's a it of an odd question in some regards, because it's not like you have a choice with standard off the shelf doors: you pick the style you like and then find that they're either 1981 or 2040ish high and a limited set of widths. If your casings are really out of whack for it you modify the casing down, buy a potentially 3 inch narrower door and extend it, or pick a different style.. 711mm is quite an unusual door size; are you sure that your chosen door style comes in this width? I assume yes, but I don't recall ever seeing one when browsing for my own doors..

Widths look ok: I made all my door casings 8mm wider than my doors and could probably have got away with 6mm for a slightly more even spacing as its turned out to be 3:5 rather than 4:4 (and I couldn't be bothered packing every hinge out 1mm), but wasn't sure how much the doors would expand (bought em unfinished and they do seem to have grown by a millimetre.. Maybe they'll grow another and even the gap out. Or maybe I'll get old, retire and have he time to faff about with such things. And the inclination)

I didn't have floor coverings installed at the time I set the heads, so opted for door height + 18mm on the downstairs where the Karndean is and 30mm on the upstairs where the carpet is. She changed the carpet for a fluffier one so some adjustments were needed, cutting 7mm off each upper door. As your floor coverings are there already (?) this may be a moot point but aiming for around 8mm gap under doors and 4mm above, it means your bedroom door is a bit tight and the bathroom more so. Can you take a router to the door head and give yourself an extra 5-10mm?

Side note, take care what you finish your doors with. I had to swap my oil of choice because the door makers explicitly said that veneered doors must not be oiled (so I swapped the Osmo polyx for Osmo door oil, as Osmo said it was specifically formulated for veneered doors. Apparently thicker, less penetrative so less likely to soak far into the glue holding the veneer on, risking delamination)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi Cjard, thanks for coming back.

711mm is quite an unusual door size; are you sure that your chosen door style comes in this width? I assume yes, but I don't recall ever seeing one when browsing for my own doors..

I've been lucky enough to find a range of doors that offer a few less common sizes. In the pics I added the door sizes circled are actually the sizes quoted straight from the place I'm buying them.

They also offer an pine engineered version in all the same sizes, the wife now wants them painted to match the skirting and frames so I might go with those instead.

Based on the sizes available (circled) and my door sizes, I think I've got the right selections.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back