HELP! 1930s house - Unusual size internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a 1930s house and the OH wants to replace all internal doors with ones that match (i.e. a single design throughout) but I have disovered a problem.

the current doors are:

Downstairs: approx 2005(H)x810(W)x35mm.
Upstairs: approx 1963(H)x760(W)x35mm.

Unfortunately these heights seem to be non-standard because I haven't seen any designs that suit both the width and height. It's even quite hard to find a design that even includes doors above 1981mm! I understand that some adjustment would usually be necessary, but the closest doors I have found to the sizes I require are 2032mm and 1981mm, so requiring the the removal of 27mm and 18mm respectively.

Is this too much to take off a door? I hadn't intended on paying through the nose for solid doors, so was looking for moulded doors ideally.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that could supply doors to the correct size without costing the earth?

Is it possible to remove some material from the top of the frame to gain some extra mm, thus reducing the amount I have to take off the door?

Many thanks!

Bob

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't mess about with the frame mate, just get the closest oversized door available in the style you like and find out how much you need to take off (to give you a 2p gap all the way round) then trim each side so if it's 40mm in all take 20 off each side,
Hope this helps,good luck

If it's really nececary you can cut the bottom then re fix a batton back in with gripfill and clamps - voila

Sponsored Links
a reclamation yard will most likely have doors that can be made to fit, as they will have come out of houses like yours. it just depends if that's the look you want.

otherwise taking 27mm off the height of a door is fairly normal. your mdf moulded door will be fine. need to be careful with hollow doors.
i would take half off top and bottom.

check the opening for square before you cut though. a roofing square is an easy way to do this, or measure the diagonals if you know the height and width are the same all round.

or i would offer the door to one edge of the frame by tilting the door so the top flies past the frame head. then you can check the bottom and scribe it if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back