1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Garage side door - internal plywood door ok?

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by Zeddd, 23 Jul 2020.

1. Zeddd

Zeddd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All

I have a garage door, which is made out of plywood. It’s battered and needs replacing.

I found that a standard plain plywood doors are available. Which I will undercoat and paint with outdoor paint.

however the difference in price between an “internal” and “external” door is almost double.

What is the difference between this Internal ply wood door
    https://www.diy.com/departments/flu...VyIBQBh2MEwJiEAQYASABEgK-bfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

and this external one
    https://www.diy.com/departments/flush-lh-rh-external-fire-door-h-1981mm-w-762mm/1448686_BQ.prd

Is it because one is fire proof and one is not?

it’s being used in the garage which is free standing in the back of my garden. Do I need a fire proof one?

Or is there something else that makes it more expensive?

thanks

2. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would not imagine so, external will mean it is panelled in a water resistant ply. My small garage door is a funny size, when it needed replacement a few years ago - I bought a sheet of outdoor ply, timber and made one, then varnished it with yacht varnish. Recently the out layer of the ply began peeling, so I solved that - by scraping away the top lose layer off, then cladding it with scrounged sign makers plastic (£5 in their charity pot). That was faced on both sides by very thin painted alloy sheet, with plastic in the middle. I simply fixed that over the outer face of the door with lots of screws into the timber frame. It was white, so matched my big, front roller-door perfectly.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For just over £50 b&q do external back doors.
    One of those would do

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zeddd

Zeddd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    is that Z braced door? It’s got some horrible reviews regarding them being warped.

the door on my garage at the moment is just a plain ply door. So I thought I’d replace it like for like.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes it was a Z frame
    You could keep an eye out for damaged doors on sale at diy sheds, freecycle or skips?