Have the rules changed with decking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, New here but after reading some threads I am now confused.

Basically I'm moving into a new house within the next few weeks and want to add some decking to a sloping garden. I read on the planning portal that;-

"Putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, providing:

• The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground
  • together with other extensions, outbuildings etc, the decking or platforms cover no more than 50 per cent of the garden area."
But some threads here have stated that the 30cm guide is from the highest point but the planning portal doesn't state that.

SO
1. Have the rules changed where it was 30cm from the highest point and is now a max of 30cm from any point of the decking? or
2. Is it down to the inspectors discression??

Sponsored Links
Rules have not changed. The criteria is set in the permitted development rules and is established, not subjective or up to an inspector's opinion.

Ok thanks. So this image that you posted on Megar22's post (fairly close to the top of the list cos I've posted on it last night) still stands then?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back