Have you used Bosch Blue and Titan SDS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm up for buying an SDS drill as I recently had to drill some 20mm holes in brick and clinker block and my Green Bosch hammer drill didn't do too well.

I'm willing to spend around £100 and having read good reports on here and other forums about both Blue Bosch and Titan, am torn between getting a:

Blue Bosch GBH2-26-DRE
(2kg 800w motor 3J energy
(Comes with nothing so will want to buy bits and an adapter to use non-SDS bits)
http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bos...xVEwZbWj2eMVtYXsmxgfd4XpH1Xh5xwx1AaAk358P8HAQ

And one of the Screwfix Titan jobbies where my budget will stretch to a larger model (Titan TTB631SDS)
5kg, 1500w motor, 8j energy
Comes with carry case, bits and adapter BUT is a lot heavier (about double)
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb631sds-5kg-sds-plus-hammer-drill-230-240v/4172g

My main essentials are to be able to drill normal DIY holes in brick and block very accurately (for fixings) and particularly to be able to do this up to 20/22mm

The roto-stop and hammer-only for chiselling aren't important to me right now but would ideally like the option in the future as who knows what DIY is on the horizon!

Both seem to have:
Safety clutch
Roto stop
Variable speed
Excellent warranty

Any thought from anyone who has tried both or similar?

Is Bosch worth sacrificing the grunt of the Titan
Will the grunt on the Titan help me drill perfect holes as I have to use less pressure or will it's weight and maybe lower quality alignment make the holes less than that?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I have the Bosch GBH2-24DF, which is very similar to the one you list. It is 790W and has interchangeable SDS and keyless chucks, which I find very useful.
I don't know anything about the Titan, but bear in mind that the 'extra grunt' will also come with extra weight!
I have found the Bosch to be a good compromise, having plenty of power for my needs, yet not too heavy. A much heavier drill would be too difficult for me to use and, incidentally, I have managed to use my drill for driving in screws which, of course, it is not really designed for!

Bosch blue every day and twice on Sundays

The abuse we give our drills is criminal. I have now bought a 36v cordless SDS specifically for fixing so the lads can abuse the corded roto-stop fella as much as the want. For less than a ton you won't find a better drill. You can not kill these drills. Ours drill thousands of holes and are in use for hours sometimes during a stint.

I have the Titan, unashamedly because it is cheap.

I had a particular DIY job where I needed to drill into dense concrete, and knew that the job would be over well before the guarantee ran out. It is very heavy, and although this is OK when drilling into a ground slab, it is harder for drilling into a wall, and I would not want to use it much overhead.

In fact, it is still working fine now the job is over, and I will use it next time I need it. Perhaps for core-drilling for an extractor, and it will save me hiring one. If if breaks now, no great hardship. It came with a lot of basic steels, drills and chuck converter.

Sponsored Links
If you are using the tool over waist height for long periods then the extra weight of the Titan will be a disadvantage. As for the extra power (and weight) not needing more presure applied is likely to leed to less accurate holes as the drill action does mean there is quite a big 'bounce' when drilling. 'Tis a real problem up a ladder.
My recommendation is go for the Bosch and when you need to break rock or similar buy a real cheapy from Aldi or Lidl (which could easily be the same perantage as the Titan).

Looks like the Bosch has it! Thanks so much to everyone who's answered.
Now need to research SDS bits!

Son-in -law got thru two titan sds drill on one job, but he does have a knack for killing power tools. Screwfix changed them without hassle.

If its mainly for drilling holes forget the 5kg its too heavy and overkill. If you need to kango with it then the 5kg will be better.

I think the guys who told you that weight is significant had it spot on. It's no fun using a 5kg drill up a ladder or above your waist for more than a few minutes. In terms of durability, too, I'd have to ask why, if the Titan is so good, there isn't a 110 volt (site) version. But maybe not. Site users tend to really abuse SDS drills. Our sparkies have a big box full of dead SDS drills from the current project; this morning there were 8 deWalts in there. They use their SDS drills as breakers for sinking conduit. The two brands which seem almost unbustable are Bosch blue and (surprisingly) Hitachi.

Now need to research SDS bits!
Cheap ones (e.g. Silverline) don't hack it - they are frequently not even straight (that's before you;ve had tyhe chance to drop the drill, either). Medium quality (e.g. Bosch trade, deWalt, Heller, etc) are good but the 3- and 4- flute designs such as Heller TriJet, Hilti. etc are the best of all - faster drilling and last longer. Thing is that for 80% of the drilling most folk ever do (for red and brown plugs) you can happily get by with a couple of different length 5.5 and 7mm bits, so I think sets are a waste of time

My £50 Titan is fine for drilling holes for 20 mm conduit through quite tough brick. I drill a smaller hole first then work up to 20 mm in a couple of stages.

Good quality drill bits are essential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back