Having a bad trip here

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Indesit WG1034T washing machine that is about 4 years old - of late it has started to intermitently trip out the electrics in the house when pumping out. If turned off for an hour or so then the machine completes the cycle without any hassle. I called out a Washing Machine repair guy who diagnosed a faulty pump without even opening the machine up - foolishly I trusted the guy to know what he was doing and stumped up for a new pump to be fitted. The problem still exists but will never do it when the repair man is present (surprise surprise). Finally the repair man has come to the conclusion that the fault must be within the household RCD system and 'they make them far too sensitive anyway'. I have tried running the machine with no other appliances running in the house and have tried using a different socket and still get the same problem.
I know that the Indesit isn't the most expensive washing machine on the market but i would still like to have a bash at getting it running before i take the plunge and buy new - any ideas, hints would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Stu

Sponsored Links
I would agree with his first diagnosis, look at it this way, it does the cycle untill it is time for the pump to run, when it does your rcd trips. (Although i would "megger" it too)

seeing as its not directly the pump, it could be one of a few things, the cable to the pump worn /chafed, or a hole / split in the pump outlet pipe which is allowing water to drip / short to something else put a sheet of plain paper under the m/c run it and see if it is wet / water marks

you could also unplug the m/c and look underneath and LOOK to see if you can see any water

Thanks breezer - i shall follow that route - excuse my ignorance but what does ' megger' mean??? ( Im guessing it is a way of testing???

cheers

stu

stourbridgestu said:
Thanks breezer - i shall follow that route - excuse my ignorance but what does ' megger' mean??? ( Im guessing it is a way of testing???

cheers

stu
yes it is a way of testing the electrical insulation to see if it has a "fault" he should use a "megger" which basically looks like an electrical multi meter (but it isn't)

Sponsored Links
Just has a look under neath the washing machine and, yes!! The are a couple of wires that were rubbing against the big collar type clamp where it had been leaking and corroded - corrosion cleaned, clamp tightened, heat shrink wrap on wires and hey presto!!! looks to be working like a charm.
Made me realise a couple of things, firstly, these machines aren't really that complicated at all as long as you are methodical and apply a little common sense to the way you work. Secondly, i cannot believe the amount of gunk and cr*p that builds up in the waste sytem, liberal cleaning of the whole system and a good few runs through on a hot wash with no detergent or clothes to follow is underway now.
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction breezer, if i could buy you an online pint, i would :D :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back