Having a smart meter fitted. Do I need to do anything with my house alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having a smart meter fitted today and I wondered if I need to do anything to my Veritas R8plus before they start doing it? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
When was it last serviced?
What size back up battery do you have?
What bell box do you have?

Personally I would have a smart meter unless I was paid more than use.

They are not smart, you save money by turning things off.

The back up battery was replaced in March last year and its a y2.8-12. Im not very tech savvy the bell box has a strobe that's flashes when the alarm goes off.

My meter has deemed dangerous so I've had no choice but to get it done.

Thanks for the reply

Had a smart meter for years now never had a problem with our alarm or anything else for that matter.
I suspect Alexa is more of a threat than smart meters, quite happy with my meter.

Sponsored Links
You can have a normal replacement.

You don't have to have the smart meter.

A 2.8Ah battery that's new should get 4/6hrs easily backup unless you have lots connected to it, you will get the mains power off beeping and flashing, if it looks like they are going to take longer it's worth disconnecting the battery.

If the bell box was a Texecom one you may be able to put it in engineers hold off so it doesn't alarm when mains and battery are off

The smart meters or the fitters are getting better.

But it's a false good they are not smart and they alone will save you nothing.

For example if you turn off all appliances and lights when not in use the smart meter won't be able to save you any money.

But say your using a tungsten filament then changing to LED will save you money.

All they do is tell you how much your using and send a daily reading to your supplier.

If they fit a supplier specific meter then you can't change supplier without getting meter changed and I have known several people have them removed because they tripped out the electrics when sending readings.

Also had several call outs due to fitters damaging cables and not talking due care and attention.

Also common is people that don't have there system serviced and the back up battery hasn't got much if any capacity and depending on which alarm system they have will determine the consequences

When I rang up I was told that I had to have a smart meter.
The chaps here at the moment and thankfully the alarm didn't go off when he turned the electric off. He just said that I could of had a replacement and didn't need to have the smart meter so i'm peed off about that. He did say that if I don't get on with it I can change back to a normal one.
Its a 2nd generation one so I can still change suppliers.
Thank you for all the help.

They are pushing them hard.(naughty naughty)

I have had said no, so many times they are now being silly requesting over regular readings but not an issue takes seconds to read.
The issue usually occurs if mains off and battery isn't any good yours is relatively new do should be good for a few hours as mentioned already.

Other issues occur usually when the turn the auto readings for the supplier that's usually 7 to 14 days after install.

Or if they damage anything.

My dad's was the first one I became aware of some problems, like the electric cutting off early hours of the morning and losing the contents of the freezer it took several months before they admitted it wasn't suitable and replaced it with a normal meter

In the meantime my dad was getting up at 4an and resetting the trip every dam day.

Pre smarter days you could watch how fast the disc spins, kettle or shower very fast uses lots of power but for a short time, electric cookers also used a lot of peer but modern ones claim to be much more efficient same with hobs.

Thanks for the info and I hope I don’t have the same problem as your dad. All I can do is wait and see now as it’s all fitted and the engineer has left.

I too am being told by my supplier (that I just joined) that I need to have one for this contract or they will put me on another tariff.
TBH I now want one, not because they will save me any money but because it will save me a trip down the cellar several times a year to read the old one. :)

If you want one fair enough, however that's the reason the were designed to stop having to pay someone to go do a meter reading.

When you think of all the households that were read manually, having an automated reading saves money and puts people out of work?

I guess encouragement for the tariff is good way to get people to sign up, but they are not smart and they alone will not save you money so it could be another miss selling scandal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back