Having new windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have realised what looks like an open to one side alcove shelf at the end of my long kitchen window could actually be missing brickwork as the exterior wall attached to the window measures only 95mm! Would filling the gap will concrete blocks or standard brickwork be the answer??? I’m sure it needs some kind of damp proof barrier between but I’m unclear how/what. Any advice please?

IMG_0917.jpeg
IMG_0916.jpeg
IMG_0916.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It looks to be an older solid brick or stone wall, if it's not damp' jut keep an eye on it. If you're concerned about insulation, you could fill whole of the vertical area above the tiled step by creating a timber frame and filling with insulation, and plasterboard over. Keep the studs off the wall with plastic shims, and use plastic plugs to take the fixing screws. Both these will reduce the transmission of damp. But at the end of the day if the rest of the room is not insulated it's not going to make any realistic difference just leaving it, and you have an alternative location for the teapot.

Thanks for your reply …but on measuring my neighbour window (terrace of 4) I can see where the same size as their window Aperture shows on my wall, but my present window is one that is narrower right to left and deeper top to bottom that original. So it doesn’t reach the solid wall on the RHS and part of wall below has been chopped out to accommodate the present window. Hence why the stone shelf is there and the RHS window frame is attached to a rendered ..who know what which is only 90mm in depth to accommodate the window frame. Is Re-bricking the gap to the window needed !????

Why brick it up? Is it causing any issues?

Sponsored Links
starting a crack in from the side and concerned about what is underneath the render that filled the gap..sounds a bit hollow…concerned it might just be wood.

starting a crack in from the side and concerned about what is underneath the render that filled the gap..sounds a bit hollow…concerned it might just be wood.

Take a look. See whats going on behind the render i say.

Thanks for your reply …but on measuring my neighbour window (terrace of 4) I can see where the same size as their window Aperture shows on my wall, but my present window is one that is narrower right to left and deeper top to bottom that original. So it doesn’t reach the solid wall on the RHS and part of wall below has been chopped out to accommodate the present window. Hence why the stone shelf is there and the RHS window frame is attached to a rendered ..who know what which is only 90mm in depth to accommodate the window frame. Is Re-bricking the gap to the window needed !????
No, as the upvc window is presumably properly secured to section of the wall abutting it.

And if the joist/ beam supporting the wall above the window is adequate in terms of size and bearing

Perhaps that was where the box was for old box sash windows?

thanks for your answer…but not a box window but a bodge upvc job by someone putting in a replacement that was too small so attached a length of timber to screw the window to then covered it with render. Builder sorting it for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back