Having Trouble! painting over old paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently moved into a flat which had been recently painted in magnolia. Hate the colour and want to paint the whole lot brilliant white.

Problem is, the brilliant white doesn't seem to take to the walls, it doesn't seem to bond.

I would expect to paint over magnolia in about two or three coats, but by the end of four coats this is still looking patchy, awful and lumpy. It seems that the paint just doesn't take.

I think the magnolia is just standard emulsion and i have tried various brands of brilliant white emulsion and non seem to make any difference. started off with an expensive trade one, tried some dulux and, if it is gonna need 5 coats, i am now using a cheapo one. the surface I am painting onto is plastered wall which has for the most part been lined.

Any ideas as to what I could do to make this task easier?

Any help much appreciated!

cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi, forgot to say I am using pads at the moment as they work best. Brush and roller were not so good.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Thats probably why then...and what brand of paint are you using?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back