HD Tv

TV retailers will set up a few sets to run perfectly and leave the rest 'detuned' or not set up to promote the ones they want to sell that week. Average customer thinks 'thats a better picture than that one, I'll buy that' :eek:

Sponsored Links
Rider said:
I believe you have assessed the situation correctly. Further to that, I read that ways are being looked into regarding how HDTV can be transmitted within the available space. There are mentions of a system called MIMO and compressed signals. Something extra for us to buy in the future perhaps. I also read that the BBC might be looking into satellite space for free HDTV transmissions. It all seems a bit 'in the air' (pun alert) at present.
Thanks, Rider. I will have a browse at this MIMO stuff. I suppose there would be some loss of quality using a compressed signal?

tim west said:
Certainly possible for the BBC to do so but they need a massive increase in the licence fee to do so, with the fee as it is they are even pondering whether to turn off a major channel they broadcast so what hope HD from them? I think you will be better off subscribing to one of the other providers rather than trying to lobby the government over putting even more pressure on the BBC to produce the goods.

As far as the Beeb is concerned I suppose a huge investment would be required to upgrade all of the transmitters in the UK and that, presumably, would have to come out of the licence fee. But, in addition, should not the government have provided a greater bandwith range with the advent of digital transmission? They are, after all, expected to be making a fortune when it comes to selling off the prevailing analogue space in a few years time. Also the Beeb usually try to involve themselves in every technology they possibly can. Perhaps HD will be the one that got away.

Subscribing to the commercial providers may well be the only option if the government do nothing.

There's a lot happening at the BBC at the moment Internal politics is gradually dismantling what was once the country's top broadcaster.
Extremely bad management and desicion making is putting the last nail in the coffin for the beeb, The government knows all about what has happened internally at the beeb, which is a legacy from Thatcher and are not prepared to back financially with any increases in the licence fee a company that basically makes very little (quality) programming themselves but merely buys in programming from others, take a look at the ending credits for comfirmation of this.
The move to Manchester will be the death knoll, There will be few "Talent" prepared to journey there on a day to day basis, especially when the bloated pay checks of old cease to materialise anymore.

chainsaw_masochist said:
Also the Beeb usually try to involve themselves in every technology they possibly can. Perhaps HD will be the one that got away

They don't even broadcast digital telly to where I live :evil:

Sponsored Links
I fully agree that the BBC has declined markedly in recent years. (For me nothing embodies this deterioration more than the current quality of TV news coverage). But can they really expect to produce all of their TV output on existing funding without buying some stuff in? The government could also be seen as not wishing to invest in the Beeb ‘cos it is not sufficiently on message.

Not wishing to encourage an outbreak of hostility on the forum, but I wonder what Our Friends from the North reckon on your comment the move to Manchester will be the death knell. Get ready to duck, Tim. ;)

RF Lighting said:
They don't even broadcast digital telly to where I live :evil:

Yes, I am aware that there are some areas not currently receiving the digital signal. Very unsatisfactory, I agree.

chainsaw_masochist said:
I fully agree that the BBC has declined markedly in recent years. (For me nothing embodies this deterioration more than the current quality of TV news coverage). But can they really expect to produce all of their TV output on existing funding without buying some stuff in? The government could also be seen as not wishing to invest in the Beeb ‘cos it is not sufficiently on message.

Not wishing to encourage an outbreak of hostility on the forum, but I wonder what Our Friends from the North reckon on your comment the move to Manchester will be the death knell. Get ready to duck, Tim. ;)
They have been cutting back on resources and manpower for nigh on 20 years now accountants were called in by Thatchers government to streamline the beeb, they virtually stripped it bare of operational staff. those left in charge now plead that they need more money, but what of the millions available from the cutbacks? Wonder where all that went to?
I've seen assets that we all contributed to over the years in license fees being sold of for pennies to high up individuals in management who left to form independant production companies selling programmes back to the beeb at inflated prices, stuff that once upon a time was done inhouse.

Yes there is the argument that the beeb was once a license to print money and things had to change, but all the streamlining that has gone on hasn't changed the appetite for more money so the sums don't add up.

The comment about Manchester is not mine but that of the concencus amongst staff there that the big name artists will not want to travel, which we have had experience of in the past with programming being moved at great cost to satisfy the ego of a big name, oh yes this goes on alright!
Again the staff are the last to know what is going to happen to their livelihoods and a lot of them are jumping ship before the rush for jobs elsewhere.

The BBC have been producing HD programmes for around 2 years.
David Attenboroughs, Life on Earth, the series The Romans, and many sports programmes are on regularly.
Unfortunately you need a Sky HD box and an HD TV to be able to see them.
I can certainly recommend HD, we have had one for almost 12 months and the quality is incredible particularly in nature and sport programmes.

Correction, I should have said Planet Earth.
They did not buy it , but co-produced it as follows
Planet Earth is a BBC nature documentary series narrated by David Attenborough and produced by Alastair Fothergill. It was first transmitted in the UK from 5 March 2006. The American version is narrated by Sigourney Weaver.

The series was co-produced with Discovery Channel and the Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK) in association with the CBC, and was described by its makers as "the definitive look at the diversity of our planet". It was also the first of its kind to be filmed almost entirely in high-definition format.[1] The series was nominated for the Pioneer Audience Award for Best Programme at the 2007 BAFTA TV awards.[2]

I don't think that they buy in the Open Golf, international football matches, and other sports , do they?

chainsaw_masochist said:
I will have a browse at this MIMO stuff. I suppose there would be some loss of quality using a compressed signal?
I don't think so. It seems like it's a way of transmitting two lots of data using the same frequency. A brief description here (last two paragraphs).

anobium said:
Unfortunately you need a Sky HD box and an HD TV to be able to see them.
Just to mention the Virgin V+ box (on cable) again. That has HD capabilities too.

Rider said:
Just to mention the Virgin V+ box (on cable) again. That has HD
capabilities too.

Or just get a free-to-air HD satellite receiver. (from about £90) You get BBC HD along with a handful of other HD channels (demo + non english speaking) from around Europe as well as non-HD too.

Sponsored Links
Back