Head binder and trusses questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , I have some beginners questions on head binders and trusses.

For our hip-to-hip roof we are using ready-made roof trusses without any overhang. Trusses will sit on a horizontal piece of wood called, "head binder".

Does the head binder need to be the exact width of the blocks/bricks, ie about 100mm, or can it be narrower, say 50mm ? (I'd be happier with the 100mm to be honest)

Can we use two head binders, one for the inner leaf and one on the outer leaf and place the trusses over both so as to split the load?

Do we bolt these head binders down with anything other than the vertical restraints ?

Do we need these "twist restraints" ?

Many thanks

Attachments

• Restraints.jpg
    Restraints.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 589
Sponsored Links
By "head binder" do you mean wall plate?
These are usually 100 wide.
If I'm understanding you correctly, it's not adviseable to support each end of a truss off two wall plates as they are not designed for this;
doing this alters the load paths in the truss members, which invalidates the design calcs.
Wall plates are usually tied down to the wall with straps as per your diagram.

Sponsored Links
100mm wide tantalised softwood wallplates ,65mm or minimum 50mm thick on inner leaf only. Trusses fixed to wallplate. Wallplate tied down inside face of wall with galvanised mild steel straps turned over top of wallplate. See further details in bldg. regs approved document A that you can view online on Planning portal or LABC website.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back