Header size for load bearing timber wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Building a 4*2 load bearing timber wall and wondering what size header it needs and also if it needs a larger than 4*2 sole plate.
The wall is supporting a "lean-to" slate roof which spans 10 feet.

I have read conflicting advice as to the size of header required...one person said a 12*2 was required which i dont have space for :confused:
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
I've doubled up smaller timbers on loft conversions to take the roof but i can't quote sizes as i don't have them in front of me .
Box beams will also a very heavy load but then all this is worked out before i get the plans . I assume you are not working to plans ?

Hi JFC,
When you say doubled up..is that implying in my case to use 2 2*4's on top of each other as the header?

I am working to plans its just im toying with a few options around supporting the roof.

Timber frame wall,block wall, or RSJ supported at gable walls.
My plans actually have the roof supported with a purlin running from gable to gable(175*75)

Cheers for your input.
Marty.

By doubled up i mean 2 timbers next to each other and bolted together .

Sponsored Links
Cheers JFC,
As they are 4*2's i imagine id be as well laying them on top of each other, rather than side to side...less likely to split from each other that way.

it is the uprights that are important and not the header. locate the upright studs beneath their roof counterparts. ;)

No side by side and bolted together is stronger .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back