Rafter Sizes please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all i have just enrolled in this new forum. i have a question regarding rafter sizes. we are constructing a new roof over existing lean too rear of the house, it is 5.5m x 3m x 3m external walls are in place with catnic lintels over window and doorway a 4" x 4" wooden header runs across the front span with a 6" x 2" wall plate fitted. i would like to know what size rafters should i use as the roof construction, roof will be corrugated metal and the weight reduced from using a concrete roofing tile.

Sponsored Links
If it were me then I'd ignore the corrugated iron and base your calculations on it having heavy concrete tiles. Then in the future if you ever decide to change from the metal it's a simple enough job.
That said and assuming the 3m is the span from wallplate to headplate (although we don't know the angle) you could probably get away with 4x2's or for what little extra it would cost 6x2's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back