Timber sizes etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Sorry if posted in wrong area, wasn't sure if to post here or in "roofing and guttering"
Anyhow I am building a storage room, the back wall and side walls are constructed of blockwork, the front will have 2 windows and French doors.
The roof will be sloping from the back to front, sizes are 4m wide x 3.20m long.
The roof is going to be constructed of metal corrugated roof panels, will have some insulation and plasterboard to the interior of roof. The panels are similar to these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/metal-corrugated-roof-panels-galvanised-roof-panels-/191884707397?
I need to know what size timber I should for joists and what distance between joists.
Thankyou for any help

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
4 metres is approximately 13 feet so I'd aim for 7 x 2s or 8 x 2s at 600 mm centres (assuming 2400 x 1200 plasterboards)

The joist span would be 3.20m, would this alter the size of the timber needed at all?
Thankyou for taking the time to advise.

Sponsored Links
5 x 2s would possibly be a bit on the light side, so I'd go for 6 x 2s. BTW all timber sizes assume kiln dried, C16 stress grading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back