Costs of rebuilding old stable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are fortunate to have a number of outbuildings - one of which is a 3.2m x 3.85 m old wooden stable built on 4 courses of bricks on concrete slab with a flat felt roof with a pitch of around 6 degrees

Sadly its completely falling apart - roof leaks badly; construction leaning heavily; wood worm; rotten wood etc.

My immediate though was to remove the existing roof walls and cladding and replace with new.

My basic plan using 2 x 4 treated for the carcassing walls, OSB3 for the roof with 47x150 rafters, and then TGV featheredge cladding. Nice project.

I have just done some basic calcs on the costs and even without considering the felt for the roof its clocking in at 800 pounds for materials alone.

What am I missing ? A 3.6m length of treated 2"x4" from local timberyard is £6.40; OSB 18mm is 19 pounds.

Have I been living under a stone and these costs and that of the materials sound reasonable to rebuild a stable ?

Thanks for your insight - Tim

Sponsored Links
Seems about right, the cladding is the main expense, you may want to consider alternatives. Or do you intend to keep animals in it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back