Header tank flowing wrong way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My CH header tank has been overflowing for a while so I have just replaced the valve. While checking everything afterwards, I found that water is flowing INTO the expansion pipe (and presumably flowing out of the pipe at the bottom). Is this normal? I had a new pump fitted recently and I've checking it is the right way round. (Before the new pump, the tank was still overflowing but I don't know whether the header tank was flowing backwards.)

Incidentally, I have a very high house and the header tank is only just above the highest radiators. I don't know whether this is a factor.

Sponsored Links
WHEN!!! does it flow into the header tank. You haven't much about your system. Means we can't give you much help.

It flows continuously. What else do you need to know?

Sponsored Links
No, not with the pump off. That would mean I've invented perpetual motion and I would be rich (which I'm not)!

Mmm......I think this one's going to be hard work kev :rolleyes:

If the system is working OK, am I correct in saying that the header tank should not circulate continuously - it should just get some expansion when the system heats up shouldn't it? If so, does that mean the problem's not as simple as the two pipes being connected to the wrong ends of the header tank?

if you where a plumber m8 you would know its rarely simple
no it shouldnt do it
but if we knew what we where looking at it might help :)

The new pump is a Grundfos 'G-plus'. I've checked that the arrows are pointing the right way but would it be possible that it's flowing the wrong way if it's been wired wrongly? Would that cause the problem?

Sorry to ask stupid questions but I'm just an ignorant member of the public! :confused:

I don't know whether it's just started. I only discovered it when I changed the valve on the header tank to stop it overflowing. (It was overflowing before the new pump - the valve was just worn out.)

davidf, look here and answer ALL the questions if you want to get an answer to your problem (the plumbing one that is). We are NOT sitting in front of a screen showing us pictures of your system, nor are we sitting next to you looking at it. Do not assume we know anything about your house and its plumbing unless you have told us EXPLICITLY. If this is too onerous for you, you will have to call in a tradesman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back