Header tank keeps boiling!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i'm after more advice!!!! The water in my header tank keeps boiling :(

All the rads have TRV's with 15mm copper, There is a rad in the garage (K1 1200 X 600) I'm going to remove the trv and replace with a normal valve . Hopefully this way i will not need a pressure relief valve????

Also there is no vent pipe i plan to put one in not sure where? I have put a pic below and coloured the pipes!! Can i put the vent pipe in the horizontal part of the feed pipe? Ignore the wiring that has now gone never liked the wiring center being on the floor next to the cylinder!

The red one is just a bit higher than the cylinder and has a bleed valve on the end.

Blue is the feed from the header tank

orange is return

Photo1418.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi all i'm after more advice!!!! The water in my header tank keeps boiling :(
turn the boiler off and get someone in!!
All the rads have TRV's with 15mm copper, There is a rad in the garage (K1 1200 X 600) I'm going to remove the trv and replace with a normal valve . Hopefully this way i will not need a pressure relief valve????
do you mean "bypass"? What boiler are we dealing with here :confused:

Also there is no vent pipe i plan to put one in not sure where?
take it you're talking about the CH circuit here :confused: Who installed this system? Has it ever worked?

I have put a pic below and coloured the pipes!! Can i put the vent pipe in the horizontal part of the feed pipe? Ignore the wiring that has now gone never liked the wiring center being on the floor next to the cylinder!

Slow down, slow down!!

is the pump running?

is your hw mad hot?

is anything heating?

as above get some1 in

edit

have you altered anything?

Its a halsted/wickes heat 60. Installed by the previous owner.

It has done it since i moved in but the system was wired wrong which i have sorted so this is the next problem.

The pump runs it was on no3 but its now on 1 which has helped a bit. There is also a room stat which is set at 20c.

I was kind of hopeing the TRV's where closing but room stat was telling the boiler it wasn't hot enough yet, which is why i was going to remove a trv from the 1 rad. Insted of fitting a "bypass" valve

I have got all the TRV's fully open but its still doing it? :(

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say!!! I had a plumber come out. He said its because i have no vent pipe. He also said i may aswell replace the pump and mid position valve. Just by standing looking at it didn't even turn the system on or touch anything i was with him at the time.

He told me to get the bits as i get trade prices anyway and he would come back in a couple of weeks. That was 3 months ago :confused:

Many systems years ago were fitted with no seperate vent pipe.

This was an idea started by BG, I believe, to have a combined cold feed and vent to eliminate pump over etc.

Personally I would doubt having no vent would contribute to the tank 'boiling'.

Has the basic of checking the boiler stat been carried out? Usually your symptoms would indicate this has broken and running flat out :confused:

as gas4you. Also, op, you rewired the thing last week - are you sure that this has been done correctly?

Would recommend you convert the cold feed from the f+e tank into a combined cold feed and vent asap.
This would be the first logical step.

Nothing like that has been checked. The boiler casing does get very hot sometimes you probably couldn't hold your hand on it for to long.

Now i have rewired the system so it works i have set the programmer to come on for no more than 30min and at times when i'm here.

Cylinder stat is set at 60 and takes about 15min to heat up so i couldn't say if this happens when the water is on as the boiler doesn't really stay on long enough for it to happen.

as gas4you. Also, op, you rewired the thing last week - are you sure that this has been done correctly?

Yes it was wired wrong before. The boiler was perminantly on even when the programmer was off. Also its been like this since i moved in last June.

Its now wired properly giving me some control as the programmer works now :D

Whatever your room stat and cylinder stat are set on is immaterial. The boiler, if on long enough, will heat the water to its own stat.

Get the boiler stat checked first, by someone else who knows what he is doing this time ;)

Whatever your room stat and cylinder stat are set on is immaterial. The boiler, if on long enough, will heat the water to its own stat.

Get the boiler stat checked first, by someone else who knows what he is doing this time ;)
Although a bit harsh, he has got a point op. Well done on sorting the wiring out, but it's worth getting a heating engineer out to give it a once-over and check that it's all safe.

I will get this sorted the last one not coming back made me loose heart but i will get someone to check the boiler stat asap :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back