Hearth removal

TKS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'd like to remove this electric heater and hearth. The heater isn't hard wired, it just plugs in and seems pretty simple to remove. The hearth is what I'm worried about.
Does anyone have any experience of removing one of these? Or if you got someone in what kind of costs would I be looking at?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
it looks to me very much like the tiles have been laid on top of a laminate floor covering, and will chip or lift away. The laminate may be marked by adhesive.

If it is solid wood you have a chance of sanding and refinishing. otherwise, buy a hearthrug.

When you take the fire out there may be an old fireback inside, possibly dirty and sooty, or it might be clean. If it is an electric fire it will not have needed a chimney. if the builders hid rubble inside (this is very common) shovel it out into rubble sacks and take to the tip, as it will encourage dirt and damp.

A lot depends on how old your house is.

Disused chimneys need to be ventilated top and bottom or they will get damp from condensation. An airbrick sized ventilator is usually enough.

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. The hearth was there when I moved in a few years ago and the laminate was laid around it...if that makes sense. The floor was like concrete, so if I lift the hearth away there shouldn't be too much damage to the floor?

I loosened the the top of the heater and had a peek behind. It's sitting in a opening which yeah I guess will need cleaning out. There is an actual chimney breast the other side of the wall, so in the room behind. Does that make any difference in terms of needing air vents etc? It's odd because there's no chimney's upstairs. Just that one breast in the kitchen and this in the living room.

Thanks again

if there were two fireplaces, there will be two flues, which both need ventilating.

It's possible the upstairs fireplaces were taken out. Can you see any chimneypots on the roof?

How old is the house?

Sponsored Links
I think the house is 1940's. There is a chimney visible outside.
The chimney breast in the kitchen has no fireplace in it, it's just bricked up from floor to ceiling. It looks like the hole in the living room backs into the breast in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back