Hearth requirements: can I have a wood burning stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd really like a wood burning stove in my living room, but I think the hearth requirements may be a pain to fulfill.
The original fireplace has long been plastered over, before I bought the house.
Below the chimney breast is the cellar. Looking up at where the original hearth would have been I see what looks like the underside of tiles, no deeper than the floorboards.
I understand that a new hearth must be at least 120mm thick, and looking at my situation it seems like the old hearth is neither here nor there, so I'd need the full 120mm slab sitting right on the floor joists, i.e. pretty much all of it would be above the floor surface in the living room, which would be kinda ugly.
Am I right about this?
CIMG1030.JPG CIMG1031.JPG CIMG1034.JPG

Sponsored Links
stove-hearth-thickness.gif

If the hearth is on a combustible floor it must be at least 250mm thick or...
The hearth may be 125mm thick if there is a 50mm air gap underneath it or....
If a stove has been tested and shown to not raise the hearth temperature to over 100 degrees centigrade over ambient room temperature then a 12mm hearth may be used.

If the hearth is on a non-combustible floor (for example a concrete floor slab) then the total thickness of the hearth together with the non-combustible floor must be 250mm or...
125mm thick with a 50mm air gap underneath or....
Again if a stove does not raise the hearth temperature to over 100 degrees centigrade then a 12mm hearth may be used.

C/O http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-hearth-size.html

Ah, that would be a no for me then. I can't very well have a 250mm thick slab of concrete in my living room. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back