Log Cabin wood burning stove brain melt...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd really appreciate any advice regarding the installation of a woodburner in a small log cabin. I'm having trouble choosing a woodburner.

Clearly as the structure is made entirely of wood, I have a lot of restrictions on what I install. From my research, it looks like I have to install a woodburner that has a hearth temp of <100degC so I only require a 12mm hearth. A constructional hearth is not possible.

As the cabin is only small, the manufacturer's guidelines on distance to combustible materials are very limiting. Some stoves require 800mm to the rear and this would put the stove towards the middle of the room and look ridiculous.

So, my questions are:

- Is the distance to combustibles merely a guideline? Will local building control still sign it off if it meets all of the requirements of Approved Doc J of building regs?

- Alternatively, if I was to tile the wooden wall behind the woodburner, would I be able to then use the distance to non-combustible figure? Doesn't seem likely but I need to ask the question.

The cabin is on Loch Awe near Oban and there isn't a HETAS engineer for miles around otherwise i'd have had someone around to look. I need advice on this so I can purchase a sensible stove and remain within the regs.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Some stoves require 800mm to the rear and this would put the stove towards the middle of the room and look ridiculous.

You are putting a stove in a toilet? :unsure:

You can get round this as they do in narrow boats with less room but I can't give you advice on this as I'm not in a position to do so but I think there is a Hetas in your area J & A Hastie & Son, failing that your local BCO will help you what's needed. My stove is in my conservatory so I can't see why there's should be any problem however you do need to get the correct advice.

Probably worth a look at a German site - They used to install woodburners in wooden buildings - and we used to dig holes out from under them :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
you just place non combustable material 25mm from the wall then go by the clearances required from non combustible material

i have use old single panel radiators cut to size :D :D

Bought a beautiful antique cast iron fireback from ebay for £55 which is fantastic throwing the heat back into the room and my wall doesn't get hot at all! Got a couple metal feet made to hold the cast iron freestanding. I suppose you could use a cast iron drain cover.

Also have got a Ecofan which sit on the stove which operate by the heat rising from the stove blowing heat around the room.

Bought a beautiful antique cast iron fireback from ebay for £55 which is fantastic throwing the heat back into the room and my wall doesn't get hot at all! Got a couple metal feet made to hold the cast iron freestanding. I suppose you could use a cast iron drain cover.

Also have got a Ecofan which sit on the stove which operate by the heat rising from the stove blowing heat around the room.

I've an eco fan sitting on top of a 4.5 kW Morso....can't get near the thing!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back