Wood burning stove in a timber framed house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a wood burning stove in our house. I. As I have no existing fireplace I have to start from scratch including a false chimney breast to hide the flue etc. An added complication is that our house is upside down (the lounge is on the first floor) and so I need to think about floor loading. I have read through the building standards (scotland) but I'm finding it difficult to understand what is required by way of the "firebox". It appears that I can have a 12 mm thick hearth if I carefully select the appliance and that the walls (plasterboard) need to be either at least 150 mm away or be made of 75mm non combustible material (which I'm assuming means pyrok) if between 50mm & 150mm. Nowhere can I find a mention of heat protection above the fire or the minimum safe distance for combustible materials although I have seen 300mm mentioned elsewhere on this site.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info. I've done a quick search and nothing new jumps out at me so far so I'll register over there and ask the same question

Go to the wood burning section, very informative with fellas that fit stoves for a living etc !!

Sponsored Links
Hi there this firechamber problem is very simple to solve we as a company use a product called skamolex which is a heat resistant fibreboard its 25 mm thick so wont take up to mch room in your opening if the stove you want doesnt have 150mm clearance if you using a flue pipe in afalse chimney to take away the fumes just use 6" multifuel liner and connect to 1000mm of vitreous enammled pipe have alook at our website for stoves too **** hope it all goes well regards Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back