Fire protection on walls surrounding wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just installed a wood burning stove in the corner of a room. The sides of the stove are a regulation 150mm from each wall and I have screwed 6mm Gyproc Multiboard to the existing 9mm plasterboard (from hearth to ceiling). I tested the stove last night and the highest temp at the wall was 60C. I have read that multiboard should not be exposed to temps in excess of 50C regularily and would like to add another layer of non-combustible material to the existing Gyproc board. I am considering tiling the wall, with floor tiles, but would like to know if this will be sufficient to protect the wall from degradation and protect the studding from combustion. Any help or alternative (simple!) ideas would be really welcomed.

Many thanks,

Tim

Sponsored Links
Have a look at British Gypsum's 'White Book'.

Something like Glasroc Firecase may well be suitable. 15mm withstands a fair bit of heat.

Have you considered a vermiculite based board, These are rated at withstanding tempratures up to 1100c.

I will be installing these around my stove when it is installed next year.

Have you considered a vermiculite based board, These are rated at withstanding tempratures up to 1100c.

Why are you fitting a woodburner? Do you have two sitting rooms? We have taken out quite a few SF stoves, fitted as a knee jerk reaction to gas prices. Stoves are ugly, messy and inconvenient, unless you live in,say, a farmhouse.

Sponsored Links
[quote="expertgasman";p="1711278
Why are you fitting a woodburner? Do you have two sitting rooms? We have taken out quite a few SF stoves, fitted as a knee jerk reaction to gas prices. Stoves are ugly, messy and inconvenient, unless you live in,say, a farmhouse.[/quote]

Thats you own personal opinion. Some would argue the opposite.

I have been contiplating my options for over a year, so no knee jerk reaction from me.. I have a hole in my wall - options available.... paying thousands to have it restored into a working inefficient coal fire, paying money to fit a mind numbing boring electric or gas fire or fit a highly efficient multi-fuel stove.

Why are you fitting a woodburner? Do you have two sitting rooms? We have taken out quite a few SF stoves, fitted as a knee jerk reaction to gas prices. Stoves are ugly, messy and inconvenient, unless you live in,say, a farmhouse.

wow. I would definately argue the oposite. They are beautiful and cozy a hugely more efficient than a fireplace so you can really roast on cold days like were having now.

timdunn, did you find anything more on protecting a stud wall? I read thaty regs state stove should be at least 500mm from a combustable wall - i dont know if tiling it would make it legal or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back