Fire protection on walls surrounding wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just installed a wood burning stove in the corner of a room. The sides of the stove are a regulation 150mm from each wall and I have screwed 6mm Gyproc Multiboard to the existing 9mm plasterboard (from hearth to ceiling). I tested the stove last night and the highest temp at the wall was 60C. I have read that multiboard should not be exposed to temps in excess of 50C regularily and would like to add another layer of non-combustible material to the existing Gyproc board. I am considering tiling the wall, with floor tiles, but would like to know if this will be sufficient to protect the wall from degradation and protect the studding from combustion. Any help or alternative (simple!) ideas would be really welcomed.

Many thanks,

Tim

Sponsored Links
Ceramic floor tiles are excellent heat-conductors, so your suggestion will not reduce the temperature on the pb.

If you are deeply concerned about this, you need to add another insulating layer.

My feeling is that companies are always conservative with their max/min figs to avoid claims, so I would not worry about the small difference between 50 C and 60 C.

That is however me. If you think differently, then you have to act differently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back