Hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to get a new hearth for a new fireplace I am installing on a budget.

I got the wooden surround for £20 and I can get an electric fire fairly cheaply, but I am struggling getting a hearth.

Unlikely to get it the right size 2nd hand and the cut to size ones are all £300 and in granite.

Any ideas how I might get one cheaper? Is it practical to cut with a basic circular saw to size? I’ve never cut stone before. I’ve only seen it done with a petrol saw, and then I don’t know how good the edges will look.

if anyone has a solution or perhaps a place which might do it cheaper....all ears. I thought a slab of limestone or marble wouldn’t be that difficult or expensive being honest!

cheers

Sponsored Links
My brother made a hearth from reclaimed slate.

I've also seen hearth made of brick but might be a bit 70's

Unfortunately marble and limestone is expensive, even reclaimed

My brother made a hearth from reclaimed slate.

I've also seen hearth made of brick but might be a bit 70's

Unfortunately marble and limestone is expensive, even reclaimed

fair enough, I suppose cutting marble/slate and limestone to a proper finish is something for a workshop and not cheap screwfix tools?

Sponsored Links
fair enough, I suppose cutting marble/slate and limestone to a proper finish is something for a workshop and not cheap screwfix tools?

No reason why you couldn't,

Keep it wet when cutting, use a thin stone cutting disc for any of those materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back