heat exchanger leak

M

marsaday

my boiler was serviced today and the heat exchanger is covered in part in green. the plumber said there is a leak going on, but it is not massively serious.

we are not topping up the system that much and have done so twice in the last 2 yrs. the boiler is 4 yrs old.

i will need to replace the HE at some point but i dont think it is urgent yet.

any comments on whether i can leave it or is it serious and needs to be done ASAP?

Sponsored Links
Information about the boiler / system would be handy for us please :D

the main heat exchanger lol i done them a few times what normaly happens is they pinhole and are not a 5min job to change, as they are a push fit n clip needing the fan ect removed.

From experience if one goes it will take out the h/e of course most of the combustion panels maybe the pcb if it leaks in the right spot through the case.

if it is dripping out of the heat exchanger now and pooling i would get it changed asap, if it was jst a bit of staining from a old leak can last a bit longer.

hopefully the guy shown you the water leak and you can conclude whats needed.

its common for some small leaks on these push together and clip designs the manufactures are going for now days but they normaly seal so if its jst a small leak long ago wait stick aside the money for a new heat exchanger. if its actively wet and driping then get it done asap

Sponsored Links
if not then id not run around and panic, have it regulary serviced at the same time they can check to see if it needs changing and put some money aside for a new heat exchanger.

I would advise instead of spending loads on BG covers and such put aside 500 pounds for boiler parts and you should be ok, common part cost is 300 pounds or less and jst enjoy your boiler then

if you dont have the cash to hand at short notice that is.

Why has this happened on a 4 1/2 yr old boiler ?

Is it due to not enough inhibitor ?

The system is a big one feeding a 4 story house with 14 rads off it.

What amount of inhibitor would be needed for this size - 2 Litres?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back