Heat extraction from compost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I wish to use the heat that comes from farm waste organic matter such as manure, slurry, and general compost to heat a polytunnel and am looking for ideas. Which pipes are best to use from the insulated container I will be using to store the organic matter, that is plastic or copper. The compost has to be changed regularly but then the pipes could get damged etc. Also to distribute the heat in the polytunnel should I use radiators or an air blowing device. Is there any good information about this subject in Britain

Thanks alot

Donal

Sponsored Links
Don't know but, have you considered adapting the Hotbed method? This is where working muck is put into a layer, then cased above with topsoil where the crop is planted.

The heat of decomposition rises and heats the soil and (if covered with a frame, greenhouse or no doubt polytunnel), the air above.

As you are using a polytunnel which I presume is erected each year, you could create a new bed each spring, and put the tunnel over it.

That's a good idea, my granddad used to heat his green house with a straw bale. He would dig a hole big enough for a bale and pour liquid manure on it and cover it over and grow veg on top. Heap wise, why not have a big pipe in the middle of the heap, hot water from top and cold to base. Thermosyphon it round.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Don't know but, have you considered adapting the Hotbed method? This is where working muck is put into a layer, then cased above with topsoil where the crop is planted.

The heat of decomposition rises and heats the soil and (if covered with a frame, greenhouse or no doubt polytunnel), the air above.

As you are using a polytunnel which I presume is erected each year, you could create a new bed each spring, and put the tunnel over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back