Heat from Boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I have an issue with a kitchen I installed a year or so ago, as a part if the design the boiler had a cupboard/wall unit put around it.

The Boiler itself has a sticker on the front stating that any cupboard which is placed around it will NOT need additional ventilation, but to be on the safe side I ventilated the cupboard anyway.

The issue is the front of the boiler gets quite hot when in use, this heat hits the back of the wall unit door. So we have heat on the back of the door and cooler air on the front causing the door to distort quite badly.

The kitchen supplier has agreed to pay the costs of remedying the problem and has suggested putting Asbestolux/Supalux on the back of the wall unit door to reflect the Heat thus stopping the door buckling however I don't particularly want to buy an 8x4 sheet when I only need 1 8th of it, then im stuck with a massive off cut i dont need, would tile backer board have the same effect or can anyone suggest something else????

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Asbestolux - err nope.
Supalux is, AIUI, primarily a fireproof board, not an insulator; its thermal conductivity is not much different from plasterboard. You're not trying to prevent the boiler from setting fire to the cupboard door!
So plasterboard, or cement tile backer board, would I guess be just as effective.
Consider mounting it with a gap between it and the cupboard door, maybe?

As above, make and model of boiler would be good to know. When was it last serviced? If it's getting that hot it may indicate that very bad things are going on inside the casing (go on, tell us it's a Vaillant and you've not had it serviced in 8 years... :LOL:)

Sponsored Links
I think that if the boiler is working ok, you would be better of using some fibre glass insulation ,like loft insulation.

Sorry chaps i have no idea of make and model, its in customers house, but i do know BG serviced it last year as the customer informed me. The unit around the boiler is fine according BG engineer/plumber.

The front of the boiler does get quite hot to touch, but to be honest the boiler isnt my problem my problem is the way the heat makes the door twist. Im going to put the tile cement backer board on the door with air gap. If that doesnt work then ill pass it back to the kitchen designer.

The front of the boiler shouldn't get that hot, there is a problem somewhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back