Old Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have recently had a new kitchen fitted, as our old central heating boiler has caused us no problems and we rarely use it we didnt renew it. The kitchen fitters took the front off the boiler as they boxed it in with a cupboard with door. I just want to know if its safe to have a boiler without the front metal casing on even though it is in a cupboard. The boiler is old but works perfectly. its a Vulcan RS55
MANY THANKS

Sponsored Links
we rarely use it we didnt renew it. The kitchen fitters took the front off the boiler as they boxed it in with a cupboard with door. I just want to know if its safe to have a boiler without the front metal casing on even though it is in a cupboard. The boiler is old but works perfectly. its a Vulcan RS55
MANY THANKS

so you rarely use heating or hot water? That boiler requires compartment ventilation top and bottom and should have the original case and have a "compartment" label on it. It amuses me when people are quite happy to spend £10,000 on a kitchen but make do with a very inefficent 25 year old boiler. And as for kitchen fitters. . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

So you had the metal casing removed and a flammable casing applied.

And you wonder if it is safe now? Should you not have had that concern BEFORE you made the alterations?

So you have a central heating oil boiler but 'rarely use it'. :LOL: :LOL:

If you ask most customers, they describe their boiler as having lived some sort of charmed existence where it is turned on just twice a year and therefore should last 100 years.

The reality is the thing has performed day in, day out for 20 odd years, bringing them hot piping water all year round and warming their house throughout the winter, every winter. It has had to suffer 5 yr stretches without servicing 'because it is hardly ever used'.

When I buy a used car the owner is usually at pains to point out how little use it has had. 80,000 miles and hardly used. :rolleyes:

I was just asking for advice not sarcastic remarks which dont answer my original question

Sponsored Links
Hi we have recently had a new kitchen fitted, as our old central heating boiler has caused us no problems and we rarely use it we didnt renew it. The kitchen fitters took the front off the boiler as they boxed it in with a cupboard with door. I just want to know if its safe to have a boiler without the front metal casing on even though it is in a cupboard. The boiler is old but works perfectly. its a Vulcan RS55
MANY THANKS

Proably not... The manufacturers information will give you what clearances are required, the casing is there for a reason and ventilation will be required... time to get your kitchen fitters back

We see inappropriately boxed boilers almost every day and have to work on them when there is no access... many guys will walk away and leave you in the cold. We also see scorching on the sides of the boxing, the boxing used as handy store cupboards for turps and other flamables... last Friday I removed a couple of well scorched teddybears from the top of a boxed boiler that had been used as a toy cupboard....

Just because the boiler is rarely used doesn't mean that when it is used, it wont become dangerously overheated...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back