Heat pump repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ice Energy ground sourced heat pump which has been brilliant for the last seven years. However I now have a weld fracture at the bottom of the holding tank. Are there many plumbers around Birmingham with knowledge of these units as Ice Energy don't seem interested in helping me? It may be possible to weld the stainless tank in situ but I ask the question as it may have to come out to be done. Alternatively is it worth considering using Evo Stiks plumbers mait to make a repair or doesn't this stuff work well enough?
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is this leak in a circulating fluid part?

If so then its not very demanding. Most plumbers dont do brazing and you would be best going to a refrigeration engineer or a welding firm.

I would question why this part has failed. Is it under some kind of mechanical stress?

Tony

Thanks for your interest.

The leak relates to the radiator (underfloor heating) side of the system and is where a supporting crossmember is welded to the tank. There is an inner tank which is the hot water side so there is flow into and out of the outer tank as well as the inner. I guess the fracture is a vibration fracture over the years caused perhaps by the heat pump running most of the time but the manufacturers say they have never seen the problem before.

After talking to someone today it looks like I will have to get the tank out and get it welded off site.

You need someone to strip it out,i dont know if you are competant enough to and then set it all up again afterwards,maybe employ a local heating engineer?

he will probably take it down to local engineering or fabrication workshop,the chances are it will be mig welded back together,very quick and strong,brazing is not done much now days on industrial scale way too slow ,mig tig and arc are the firm favourites

Good luck,hope you get it sorted :D :D

Sponsored Links
I have found my old semi retired plumber from a few years back to help me get the tank out next week for welding. I'll update this thread when completed in case it can help anyone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back