Heat pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just purchased a hot splash heat pump for the kids pool and was hoping to run it on a timer. The problem I've got is that the plug has an integral RCD and every time the power is cut the RCD resets so when power is restored the heat pump doesn't work. Is there any way around the RCD resetting? Thanks

Sponsored Links
. It’s a safety feature of that type of (active) RCD. It’s to prevent power being restored in an uncontrolled way, when there may be a danger.

One way round it would be to chop it out and replace it with a passive RCD. But there’s risks associated with that course of action.

EDIT. The RCD resets because you have the timer on the power in to the RCD. You could rejig your cabling do that msins goes to the RCD first. Then the RCD output goes to the timer, the timer output then goes to the pump.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Is the RCD required on the unit when all of the house circuits are RCBO? I suppose any alteration will void the void on it as well which isn't ideal

The RCBO will be 30mA. What is the rating on the pump RCD?.,

you right about chopping out the RCD re warranty. Will my second (Edit) suggestion work for you.?

Sponsored Links
The pump is also 30mA.

Yes that would work, the dilemma is the warranty with cutting the cable but that may have to be for the convenience factor of not having to manually reset it everytime and being able to run it for set periods overnight etc.

How does the cable with the RCD/Plug connect to the pump?
Are the connections inside the RCD/Plug accessible?

Not sure of the connections in the plug, I'll have to go and buy a new screwdriver to remove it as the screws are the triangular security type

It looks like it's cut the cable or nothing! I may speak to the supplier when they're open on Monday. Thanks for your suggestions though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back