Heat recovery exchange fan or normal humidity controlled fan for cellar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to control humidity and damp in my cellar and unsure whether to get a normal humidity controlled extractor fan to extractor moist air outside or get a heat recovery exchange fan to both extract moist air and bring in fresh air?

Sponsored Links
On a 'like for like' fan sizing basis, from an extraction point of view, both will remove similar volumes of air from the cellar.

A basic extractor fan will remove its rated capacity of air from the cellar, and then the same amount of air will come into the cellar via doors, ventilation grilles etc. to replace what has been extracted.

A heat recovery unit with two fans of the same capacity will remove the same quantity of air, but the replacement air will come in via the unit's fresh air intake instead of from other sources. However, as there are two fans running, the electricity consumption will be double for the same extraction rate.

The advantage of the heat recovery fan is that the replacement air will come in from the outside, whilst a simple ventilation fan may draw heated air from the house into the cellar which may cause heat loss from the house in the winter. And if the cellar is heated, there is the heat recovery advantage with the second option too.

The advantage of a basic extractor is that, if correctly placed, (i.e. opposite the main source of replacement air) it may provide better ventilation throughout the cellar and have a lower electricity consumption, whereas a heat recovery fan will localise the ventilation to around the area in which it is located.

Capture.JPG

Have you considered a dehumidifier instead? low running costs & no loss of heat from your home. The downside is that you would have to empty the water container from time to time.

Thank you for the comprehensive reply, that is great. Looking at the above maybe a simple humidity controlled fan would be better. I already have a powerful air purifier down in the cellar to help with air circulation and to trap mold and I do have a large dehumidifier but it's 320W so very expensive to run so only really run it 4hrs a day which still requires me to empty it every 3/4 days and costs about £12 a month to run. Maybe I need to invest in a smaller dehumidifier that I can run more constantly?

Why not just put vents on two or more sides of the building so there is a throughflow of air?

Save £12 a month.

Sponsored Links
I have 1 air vent on 1 wall and a window on the other so did have a window on a latch 24/7 for a few months but then read that when it is warmer/ more humid outside then all you do is make the issue worse by dragging in warm air into a cold cellar so soon shut the window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back