heat recovery ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating my house and am planning to seal up the air vents due to insulating walls, i have been thinking about heat recovery ventilation.

i have found a unit- KAIR K-HRVWH1500 AKOR HEAT RECOVERY UNIT
which costs £542
www.i-sells.co.uk/whole-house-(mvhrv)

does any one know if this is good unit, suitable for a 3 bed semi and not to difficult to fit

thanks

Sponsored Links
Good? Or cost-effective? Two different things.

I doubt you'll be able to seal up an existing semi tight enough to need one of these things.

I installed a Villavent whole house heat recovery system about 4 yrs back because i can't stand the individual fans and their associated noise in bathrooms and kitchens.

Been very impressed but it cost a lot more than the thing you've found on the internet.

Running costs and noise, together with system design and support were my concerns. I don't see much of these in evidence from the information on the web link you have posted.

I am renovating my house and am planning to seal up the air vents due to insulating walls, i have been thinking about heat recovery ventilation.

i have found a unit- KAIR K-HRVWH1500 AKOR HEAT RECOVERY UNIT
which costs £542
www.i-sells.co.uk/whole-house-(mvhrv)[/QUOTE]

These are a good solution to extraction and humidity control, but do be aware that a heat recovery unit is a net energy loss unless you can more than make up for it with energy saving elsewhere. There's the cost of electricity to run, which is relatively low, and then the fact that you'll be bringing cooler air into the house in the winter which you'll need to heat.

They are relatively efficient in transferring the energy of the extracted air into the incoming fresh air. However, as the temperature of the air in your house will be relatively stable, it will always carry more or less the same amount of heat energy. Thus, as the outside temperature drops, the intake air supply will also become cooler as there is only a limited amount of energy available via the heat exchanger to raise its temperature.

So, unless you definitely need one due to lack of natural ventilation, it may not be worth bothering.

Sponsored Links
all valid points everyone, i have pushed loft insulation in all the air vents which are in every room, its been ok for over a year now no real problem with damp. im just concerned about when i have fitted wall insulation in all rooms and have replace the back boiler for a combi with all new radiators

Will i get more condensation than???

Daikin make high end commercial systems and don't normally touch the domestic markets.

Have known of new builds being difficult to heat where hrv units were fitted.
Solution was simple. Just turn them off.

These heat recovery units are a bit of a luxury!

Best in my view as a central unit in the loft.

But the recovery efficiency is actually very low, less than 30%. Not surprising when you see the tiny heat exchanger.

A number of years ago a firm brought out heat exchangers for 30 kW gas dryers as used in launderettes and in house laundries. They had a large area aluminium heat exchanger and they were very efficient indeed. By reducing the input power to the dryer the same amount of drying could be achieved at 50% of the gas usage. Only problem is they needed regular cleaning.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back